I am current MEDEX student: Available for questions!

Hi all, I'm a first year PA student in Seattle. I'm available if anyone has any questions about admissions, etc.

So, fire away - housing? Selection conferences? What they are looking for? And, keep your heads up! This is a very difficult process that requires a lot of patience!

I wish you the best.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could you please tell me about the schedule/breaks/quarters? Like you go from July to _____? Then your next quarter is ___________? And so on. I would really appreciate some insight into that.

Thanks!

This past summer was July 5 through August 12 with re-test week August 15-19. If you had no tests to retest, you were done on the 12th. Fall quarter started on September 19, ran through December 9 with retest week Dec 12-16. Again, no retests? Extra week of vacation. Thanksgiving break included the previous Wednesday so I was home on Tuesday evening.

Winter term is Jan 3 to March 20, retests march 21, 22, 23. If no retests, then you get extra vacation days.

Spring break is last week of march.

Spring term starts April 2, runs to mid June, I don't have my calendar loaded that far so not sure what day exactly we finish in June. For the summer, Masters Students have a capstone project to work on. I am a bachelors student so I don't know the dates on that. All I know is I am on vacation :-) Don't know when classes start the following September yet.

I realize you are wondering about your year but you can extrapolate pretty darn close. I want to stress the fact that if you schedule to be gone during the re test days, you will have to change your travel plans. The school really stresses no flexibility with the retesting. So if you pre buy plane tickets to be elsewhere, get some sort of insurance so you can change those travel days.

This past summer was July 5 through August 12 with re-test week August 15-19. If you had no tests to retest, you were done on the 12th. Fall quarter started on September 19, ran through December 9 with retest week Dec 12-16. Again, no retests? Extra week of vacation. Thanksgiving break included the previous Wednesday so I was home on Tuesday evening.

Winter term is Jan 3 to March 20, retests march 21, 22, 23. If no retests, then you get extra vacation days.

Spring break is last week of march.

Spring term starts April 2, runs to mid June, I don't have my calendar loaded that far so not sure what day exactly we finish in June. For the summer, Masters Students have a capstone project to work on. I am a bachelors student so I don't know the dates on that. All I know is I am on vacation :-) Don't know when classes start the following September yet.

I realize you are wondering about your year but you can extrapolate pretty darn close. I want to stress the fact that if you schedule to be gone during the re test days, you will have to change your travel plans. The school really stresses no flexibility with the retesting. So if you pre buy plane tickets to be elsewhere, get some sort of insurance so you can change those travel days.

Thanks! The basic idea is helpful and gives me a feel for when we'll be in class. :)

Hi!

I am curious as to how difficult the online A&P course is. Do you know if anyone has ever not moved onto the summer quarter, and for that matter, had anyone (in your class, atleast) not moved on from the summer to the fall? I have been offered advice to 1) get a head start on the text book, but also 2) Don't do anything school related until school starts cuz that's all I will be doing from then on.

As someone who has gone through all this, how would you suggest we prepare for the next coming months?

THANKS so much, btw!

Brooke

Hi!

I am curious as to how difficult the online A&P course is. Do you know if anyone has ever not moved onto the summer quarter, and for that matter, had anyone (in your class, atleast) not moved on from the summer to the fall? I have been offered advice to 1) get a head start on the text book, but also 2) Don't do anything school related until school starts cuz that's all I will be doing from then on.

As someone who has gone through all this, how would you suggest we prepare for the next coming months?

THANKS so much, btw!

Brooke

I think it depends heavily on your background and recent education. How much A&P have you used in your recent career track and when did you last sit in an A&P course? I actually had just finished up the course the summer of application and it happened to use the same exact text book we used for Medex. I didn't find the course as challenging as some and I give credit to the recent review and constant use at my job. (paramedic)

After I got accepted I still signed up for courses to finish up my pre reqs for the bachelor option so I was taking chemistry and a humanities course while doing the on line A&P...and working full time.

Each person will be different.

Hi all! I was wondering where you would suggest to look for housing in the Seattle area. I am moving from California and am not very familiar so would appreciate any suggestions. Also, do many of the students live together, or for the most part do students tend to live on their own?

I'm also curious if anyone has any advice if you will for incoming students, like make sure you review certain studies, moving or travel advice, or studying tips, etc.

Thank you! I'm a little nervous since I've been out of FT school for 6 years now.

I wanted to reply to a couple of questions. Regarding the online course, I read every single page from cover to cover...multiple times. I hadn't taken A&P for a couple of years. Regardless, keep in mind that you need to know A&P intimately so it won't be wasted time to read now and then re-read later. When you get to the summer session and pathophysiology in the fall you will be grateful that you only have to review the details rather than learn them anew in addition to everything else you are expected to know. You have time now to focus on details that your previous classes may have glanced over. Certain topics will show up again and again (i.e. bone healing, renal function, inflammatory response etc.). Study those details now so they will be reinforced later.

I agree with JustSteve that your background will contribute to whether you struggle or breeze through the A&P course. The summer course starts from page one and moves forward from there. You don't need the syllabus to start now. There is a disk that came with the book. I also used the workbook. I found them very useful. Take some time for yourself and family now but study now and then to start getting in that mindset. March will come very quickly and you may regret not perusing the book at the very least.

In regards to living in Seattle, I too moved here from California. If you are not in the Seattle masters class I would highly suggest just staying in the dorm for the summer. For the most part you are with other MEDEX students. The dorms suck but you are a short walk to the classrooms and it's a very short 6 weeks. If you're coming to Yakima I would highly recommend contacting Wilson Real Estate. They helped us find a house for dirt cheap and it's only 3 minutes from the class.

Take comfort in knowing that they will not take the tests for you but they will do everything possible to help you pass. I hope this helps.

I was wondering if there is a dress code? Like no jeans, or t-shirts.

The school encourages you to dress up from blue jeans and T shirts. That being said, in the classroom, I never saw nor heard of anyone being reprimanded for wearing shorts, t shirts, jeans and the like. They have made it a point to ask that no hats be worn though and that had to be re stated more than once.

When outside of the classroom but on school time (i.e. at clinical sites) they state business casual. This seems ssssooooo obvious to me but we still have people show up in hoodies, jeans, t shirts, bed head...it's embarrassing. Please don't be that person. I personally wear a tie quite a bit but I like playing dress up. Arguments can be made that ties are fomite and that they have fallen out of favor in clinical settings but each time I re think my plan we visit a clinic and the practitioners are wearing ties. You represent yourself, the profession, and the school. Be proud.

New question: when did students apply for their loans?

I am not a current student, but I applied for financial aid on January 1st. I would recommend doing it as soon as possible.

To piggy back on jesscbv's question, did you/do we need to apply for financial aid to cover spring and summer quarter this year, or is this cost rolled into the 2012-2013 school cost?

AND, any recommendations on where to look for scholarships?

Thanks!

When you apply for a loan/financial aid, the school will verify that you are a pending student aka: been accepted. The school will verify the amount needed for the particular program that you have applied for. I did the paperwork in February and it finally got all verified and taken care of about May. I was stressed, but it all worked out.

When you apply for a loan/financial aid, the school will verify that you are a pending student aka: been accepted. The school will verify the amount needed for the particular program that you have applied for. I did the paperwork in February and it finally got all verified and taken care of about May. I was stressed, but it all worked out.

I am not a current student, but I applied for financial aid on January 1st. I would recommend doing it as soon as possible.

To piggy back on jesscbv's question, did you/do we need to apply for financial aid to cover spring and summer quarter this year, or is this cost rolled into the 2012-2013 school cost?

Thanks!

Fin aid for the summer is from the previous year's FAFSA as the school year "officially" runs from fall, spring, summer. (Though, I'm going to disclaim that I've never been to a school that uses the quarter system: I assume it's still the same.) I filled out the 2011-2012 FAFSA for summer aid in November. It's considered late, but that's better than not at all. I'm sure you're well aware, but I have to stress this: fill out this year's FAFSA as SOON AS YOU CAN! Priority deadlines are important.

No idea about scholarships. I've done a ton of research and it just seems there's not a lot of funds for grad school. :(

Thanks!

Fin aid for the summer is from the previous year's FAFSA as the school year "officially" runs from fall, spring, summer. (Though, I'm going to disclaim that I've never been to a school that uses the quarter system: I assume it's still the same.) I filled out the 2011-2012 FAFSA for summer aid in November. It's considered late, but that's better than not at all. I'm sure you're well aware, but I have to stress this: fill out this year's FAFSA as SOON AS YOU CAN! Priority deadlines are important.

No idea about scholarships. I've done a ton of research and it just seems there's not a lot of funds for grad school. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I am seeking for advice from you MEDEX students/alumni. I am currently a third-year undergraduate with a major in Biological Sciences at UC Davis in California. I initially started my college career as a pre-med student but decided to change route towards becoming a PA. I have extensive clinical experience, working primarily as a medical transcriber in the ER for over four years (8000+ hours). I have worked countless hours alongside MD and PA's as part of my job. I have strongly considered applying to MEDEX to obtain a bachelor. I should complete my Anatomy & Physiology pre-req by the end of this spring. I have already completed General Biology, General Chemistry, and English courses. Overall GPA is roughly 3.1. My question is would it be wise to apply for admission to MEDEX prior to completing my degree at UC Davis? Note that it will be another two years before I finish here. I am thinking why bother staying here when I plan on applying to a PA school regardless subsequent to finishing my undergrad. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Archived