I am current MEDEX student: Available for questions!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had a water cooler full of water with plastic cups. Some people brought the cups into the interview rooms. They also had sodas at lunch. It didn't say in the e-mail I got beforehand that there would be breakfast so I had mine before I got there, but they did have a breakfast set-up too and plenty of time to eat while you talk with other applicants.

I was wondering if you could share anything about what the group activities have been in the past for the selection conference? Thank you!

Tracie

Have a presentation prepared to share in front of the class (5 mins or so), on the spot, on something medically related to Washington's underserved healthcare laws.

Just kidding.

There isn't a group activity per se, but you should have received an email saying what the day will be like (I think). Introductions, a written test, group interviews throughout the day, lunch with current students, etc.

Trust me, just be yourself and don't try to anticipate anything. Its a great experience to say the least. They're not there to trip you up or make you stumble and fumble.

The "group activities" at the Seattle interview, besides the group interviews, were information sessions basically. The group had 30 something people and was split in half, so half of the applicants were interviewing in a 3-person group with 2 faculty members and the other half was in the main room either chatting and eating or learning about the program/financial aid. The only time you "present" information to the group is during introductions when you tell the room who you are, etc. You should have your list of who will interview you before the intros too, so you can see who you will be talking to and meet the other applicants you will be in the interview group with to feel more comfortable. Every one of my interviewers was incredibly nice, but it is an exhausting day so get a really good nights rest beforehand. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I have a question for the current MEDEX student regarding financial advice... I have been worrying alot about what kind of funding I am going to have to have on hand during the initial Summer semester. I read in the information from the college recently that we would not be expected to pay any fees until July 12th, but am still curious as to when/if I should be taking out a private loan since I may not hear back from FAFSA until close to that first part of July. I have never taken out a loan for anything before so my ignorance is not doing my anxiety any favors. Any advice is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question for the current MEDEX student regarding financial advice... I have been worrying alot about what kind of funding I am going to have to have on hand during the initial Summer semester. I read in the information from the college recently that we would not be expected to pay any fees until July 12th, but am still curious as to when/if I should be taking out a private loan since I may not hear back from FAFSA until close to that first part of July. I have never taken out a loan for anything before so my ignorance is not doing my anxiety any favors. Any advice is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :)

That was a huge point of anxiety for me as well. The key thing is to get the FAFSA done asap if you haven't already done it. Unfortunately the UW only allows you to take loans out to the max that THEY determine you need. That is very irritating. If all goes well you should receive your financial aid packet in late June. Money will be disbursed shortly before the first day of class or thereafter. If you know that you will need to take out loans start your research now and get your taxes done. I received about half in federal loans and half in private loans. I didn't have too much trouble with the financial aid office but some of my classmates did. You need to stay on top of them to make sure you get all of the money you can get. Save your receipts for any equipment, computers, programs etc that you buy for school. This could increase your budget that the UW determines. If you are still working pull as many overtime shifts as possible and save that money. The didactic year is challenging financially but the clinical year can be extremely painful if you have to travel as much as I have so far. I know that the financial stuff is stressful. Just try and stay focused. You have enough stress to worry about in the next two years.

Archived