Job Interview questions

I have several "site visits" coming up for ER positions.

I will meet the medical director, have a tour, and meet some of the PAs.

I have basically no experience choosing this kind of job, my school hasn't been exceptionally helpful, and I want to evaluate the opportunities wisely.

What are some questions you would ask, things you would look for, etc.?

Thank you for your wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ktcan10! ;-)

Here are a few things that I'm looking for in my first gig:

-- Have they hired new grads in the past? If so, do they have a structured training/mentor protocol? This is #1 for me!!

-- How long before you're expected to be up to speed? And how do they define "up to speed"?

-- Specifics about pay and productivity structure?

-- Is this 1099 job or employee? Benefits? Realizing that if you're a 1099/contractor there are a bunch of extra considerations of which I'm not too knowledgable... just realize that the pay is much higher, but so is your costs associated (insurance, taxes, etc...)

-- What is average tenure of PAs in their dept? You want to gauge turnover & satisfaction of other PAs.

-- What is the role of PAs in their ED? Are you relegated to "fast-track" or is there opportunity to work into the main ED?

-- Is there a Jimmy Johns within delivery distance? 

The last one is non-negotiable ;-)

Cheers!

See ya in a few weeks!

Agree with questions about whether they hired new grads in past, structured training/mentor program, PA tenure, and eventual role (fast track vs main ED).

Also ask about expected patients per hour.  What is the schedule, shifts, etc?

I would NOT ask about compensation/benefits until they offer you a job.  If they tell you it's $65/hour with XXX benefits during the interview process, and then offer you a job...you are kinda stuck with the $65/hour.  However if you don't discuss the benefits during the interview process, and then they offer you a job at $65/hour, you can suggest $75/hour.  

Also, if you're not experienced with "site visits" and interviews, recommend you go to a couple of interviews at places you don't really care about to get more comfortable with them.  

Archived