New Grad Family Med

Hello!

I have been offered my first job in family med in Central FL, had a great interview but am not too sure about the contract.

85k starting, 5k sign on bonus ( he said that this 5k would be after 3 months in the interview, but the contract says after one year)

2 week vacation after one year

$1,000 CME and 1 week

PTO for major holidays

Malpractice with no tail coverage

5 days a week 8 hour shifts, with one saturday a month, and ALF and home visits as needed

Contract is for 5 years- if I break contract will owe sign on back

Noncompete 20 miles from office for ALF and home visits only

Yearly bonus based off performance

I had a few issues with some of the things above such as the bonus, vacation after one year (thinking of negotiating to 6 months and asking for at least 3 days sick since this was never mentioned), the lack of tail coverage (although I'm not sure if they would bother to cover), and the length of the contract.

I asked about two things before receiving the contract but never saw them added in, so basically all I have was word (not in the contract doesn't exist, right?) : 401k after 2 years of employment and he said if I qualify for obamacare that may be cheaper however I could get insurance through them and a small percentage of my pay check would be taken out. --- again none of this was in the contract, just stated during interview

Just wanted to gather some thoughts on this. It is my first contract and I do not want to be taken advantage of. Also want to make sure my concerns are relevant and if anyone has any other suggestions on how I should approach this or if you see any other red flags. Thanks in advance

Hello!

I have been offered my first job in family med in Central FL, had a great interview but am not too sure about the contract.

85k starting, 5k sign on bonus ( he said that this 5k would be after 3 months in the interview, but the contract says after one year)

2 week vacation after one year

$1,000 CME and 1 week

PTO for major holidays

Malpractice with no tail coverage

5 days a week 8 hour shifts, with one saturday a month, and ALF and home visits as needed

Contract is for 5 years- if I break contract will owe sign on back

Noncompete 20 miles from office for ALF and home visits only

Yearly bonus based off performance

I had a few issues with some of the things above such as the bonus, vacation after one year (thinking of negotiating to 6 months and asking for at least 3 days sick since this was never mentioned), the lack of tail coverage (although I'm not sure if they would bother to cover), and the length of the contract.

I asked about two things before receiving the contract but never saw them added in, so basically all I have was word (not in the contract doesn't exist, right?) : 401k after 2 years of employment and he said if I qualify for obamacare that may be cheaper however I could get insurance through them and a small percentage of my pay check would be taken out. --- again none of this was in the contract, just stated during interview

Just wanted to gather some thoughts on this. It is my first contract and I do not want to be taken advantage of. Also want to make sure my concerns are relevant and if anyone has any other suggestions on how I should approach this or if you see any other red flags. Thanks in advance

Whoa. It is all pretty much a big red flag. Vacation after one year? Ridiculous. The ALF and home visits "as needed" could turn into an everyday thing. If what a guy says isn't in a contract, it means he did it on purpose. Walk away.

Also: someone making $85k a year doesn't qualify for affordable care act subsidies. You will be paying a lot for insurance.

heck no !

unacceptable offer.

NOBODY should work with no vacation.

The 5 year contract is virtually unheard of as far as I can tell.

Counter offer strong and be ready to easily walk.  This will send them the message for when the next guy comes around.  We need to stand our ground against crap like that

Just a quick update:

I went in and they changed the contract on me to that of an independent contractor 1099.

Still the same base pay 85k with 5k sign on and all the same stuff however now vacations are unpaid and still don't kick in until one year. Would be responsible for social security and taxes.

I'm not familiar with 1099 but from the research I've done this offer is even worse than the initial. At this point I am not bothering to counter and am walking.

Just a quick update:

I went in and they changed the contract on me to that of an independent contractor 1099.

Still the same base pay 85k with 5k sign on and all the same stuff however now vacations are unpaid and still don't kick in until one year. Would be responsible for social security and taxes.

I'm not familiar with 1099 but from the research I've done this offer is even worse than the initial. At this point I am not bothering to counter and am walking.

Yep, they are pulling a fast one on you. 85k as a 1099 without any significant benefits is basically the salary as a manager of McDonalds, except they probably get better benefits.

Yep, they are pulling a fast one on you. 85k as a 1099 without any significant benefits is basically the salary as a manager of McDonalds, except they probably get better benefits.

Yea when I did the math that is basically what it came out to.. Pretty frustrating!

Back on the job hunt

Archived