Switching specialities

How hard is it to switch specialties?  Could you please suggest what are the challenges whether duties or salary changes while doing so?

Can one still ask for the same salary when switching from one specialty (they have practiced in) to another they have little to no exposure to?

Many thanks. 

In general, you get paid for what you know and can do for a practice. If you switch into something completely unrelated to what you know -- other than you know how to see patients and maybe handle the EMR -- I would suspect you will get something akin to a starting salary in the new discipline. After all, you are competing against new grads who know as much as you do about the new specialty.

That said, sometimes it's better to take a step back to later take two steps forward.

Very complicated question. My two cents are if you move within a system you would perhaps stay in the ballpark. Moving out of surgery would likely drop pay and vice verse. Call is another factor. Everything else aside you may see little difference.. Now talk separate systems or private? I give up

Archived