Can hx of drug addiction prevent me from licensure?

I have a bachelor's degree in psychology, decided to switch gears, and need to take about a years and a half's worth of prerequisite courses before applying to PA school. It has been brought to my attention that my history may be an issue for me, as I am a former heroin addict.  I went to rehab for in the summer of 2010, was prescribed Suboxone for two years, was tapered off by my physician, and have not had any issues with relapse, and have no criminal record.

Is my history going to prevent me from progressing in this career?  I would rather not take the time to complete the prerequisites if they will end up being for naught.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

I can't speak from personal experience, but in general any field in which you will have access to controlled substances, including PA, can be an issue for those with a history of prior addiction. How much of a problem this can be can vary depending on the type addiction, but considering the common use of opiates in the medical environment, I would imagine heroin addition might be the most problematic drug history to have when attempting to enter this field. For starters, I suggest doing some research on if this issue would bar you from any potential clinical sites the programs you are considering applying to use or any issues this may cause in becoming licensed in the state and setting in which you plan to practice. Having this information will help you decide whether or not to apply, and if you find positive responses, having this info may help make your case to the programs you want to gain admission to.

Everyone walks around with some baggage, some more than others.  This doesn't mean you are under some moral obligation to Scarlet A yourself.  You could easily help addicts with your history and understanding.  You can also expect some really strong opinions to the contrary given the leanings of some individuals on the forum.  I suggest that pre-reqs are a trivial investment in the long run to attempt to pursue an interest.

I'm a recovering heroin addict in my first year of pa school. It can be done. I would say you have to be sure of yourself and your recovery and know this is what you want to do. Starting pa school I had 4 and a half years clean and sober and I don't really feel it's an issue honestly. I still go to meetings and such when I can because I've made that a priority for myself. My situation was complicated by having a rap sheet but I was honest and was accepted and couldn't be happier. You're situation will probably be easier because you don't have an arrest record. You don't have to disclose if you choose not to, others would say that's dishonest but it's not. You have a right to keep your personal issues to yourself. I don't tell everyone I meet I'm in recovery. I didn't tell every patient I cared for as a cna I was because it's irrelevant. I was a competent cna and a competent pa student. This is more of a question you should be asking yourself than others for advice because too many people have mixed and conflicting views. Yes you will one day be near opiates and have the ability to prescribe, do you trust yourself? Take some time to think I know I did. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Archived