Is this hierarchy accurate?

Looks fairly accurate to me. Notice the fluidity on the right. If anything I think it's generous that if shows the senior MLP (hate that term, I know) on near-parity with the fellow. That's pretty complimentary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I agree and was quite surprised to be honest.

Ps. Have I ever mention how incredible it is to have you as a liaison and advocate for both professions? Thanks for all you do!

mid level MLP

wow is that confusing

would agree that senior PA = fellow might be a bit of a complement (fellows are boarded/eligible surgeons already....)

Most non trauma surgeons would not fair well in the trauma setting.. Being as they are a fellow in trauma..a highly experienced trauma PA would equate quite well as far as trauma knowledge and that such goes.. I've seen PA in surgery far better than I with skills highly complimentary to their surgeon.. A relatively accurate chart it appears

Most non trauma surgeons would not fair well in the trauma setting.. Being as they are a fellow in trauma..a highly experienced trauma PA would equate quite well as far as trauma knowledge and that such goes.. I've seen PA in surgery far better than I with skills highly complimentary to their surgeon.. A relatively accurate chart it appears

As someone else points out, in Medicine a PA can function pretty much like an Attending, but not in surgery -

Harder to delineate a fellow, but to be a fellow you will have A LOT more training then just any PA out there, this is not to put PA's down, but just a fact.  They will of have 5 years of 80+ hour weeks - >20,000 hours of formal training.  

A highly experienced PA will likely be close to the same, with less formal training, and a lot more real world experience and OJT. 

As typical I would not hesitate to have either one care for myself or my family....

Let's clarify-

In surgery there are PAs that can function at attending level, just not in all aspects of surgery. Meaning- PAs will never be trained or credentialed to perform independent operations, but they will provide autonomous (independent for all intents and purposes) perioperative care. So the PA-attending equivalence is not universal, but it does exist in certain aspects.

There is also nothing wrong with suggesting an experienced PA is on par with a fellow in a given specialty. I'm surprised that PAs on this forum would equivocate on such a question!

Have you lost your confidence?

Let's clarify-

In surgery there are PAs that can function at attending level, just not in all aspects of surgery. Meaning- PAs will never be trained or credentialed to perform independent operations, but they will provide autonomous (independent for all intents and purposes) perioperative care. So the PA-attending equivalence is not universal, but it does exist in certain aspects.

There is also nothing wrong with suggesting an experienced PA is on par with a fellow in a given specialty. I'm surprised that PAs on this forum would equivocate on such a question!

Have you lost your confidence?

Extremely well said and you one upped me on explaining my own thoughts

I'm not sure anyone is challenging the chart. I think we all agree with it but have pointed out that a PA can't operate autonomously so if it had said intensivist instead of surgeon no one would even raise the point.

A PA with as many hours of training as an attending - no one is challenging that we aren't just as skilled and capable. I merely am pointing out that we can't completely equate with a surgical attending unless PAs were allowed to operate autonomously and go through that learning curve of full responsibility. If you put a medical specialty instead of surgeon (and pull the word mid level) then I don't think anyone would disagree.

Archived