Need major help and advice in improving my application

My cumGPA is 3.62 and science GPA is 3.42. 

Shadowing includes 15 hours with 2 different PAs (different specialties) and 11 hours with an MD and a PA student. (still working on it)

Volunteering is about 250 hours as a hospital volunteer.

I applied really late in the cycle and haven't heard back besides rejections from missed deadlines, so I've accepted that I might need to apply wayyy earlier to the next cycle.

I don't have direct PCE, and was wondering what I could do in that without getting another degree or more schooling for it (if that's even possible). 

Any and all advice, help, comments or questions will be appreciated and answered.

You absolutely need direct PCE.  Since you applied with none I'm willing to bet you will absolutely be applying again next cycle - or a better idea would be to skip 2016 and apply in 2017 with PCE/HCE and more shadowing.

There are plenty of threads on this forum about types of PCE/HCE and plenty that won't require another degree.  You may have to take a course or something to get certified but if you want to be a PA, consider it an investment.  EMT, CNA, scribe, phlebotomy, MA, etc...you have options.  I'm concerned that with your limited shadowing, no PCE (and no HCE?) and not even an idea of what PCE you could get that you might not have a true idea for what the PA career is or even what a career in healthcare entails.  Until you have these things, you will be a hard sell for any PA school; GPA alone will not get you an acceptance.

in agreement with what MT2PA suggested, I figured i'd share my HCE. I did get a CNA certification right out of college, and planned on working as a CNA to get exposure to patients.   I ended up taking a job working with adults with disabilities and to be quite honest, I was doing very very similar work to that of a CNA and my certification was not a necessity since that was not my title.  I do think getting certified in something would help strengthen your application, but if you're really anxious to jump right into getting those hours, I suggest looking up local organizations that serve the disabled population.  Many of the job titles are Direct Support Professional, so you could also do a search for that.  All the training you'll need for that job you'll most likely get through the agency.  There was also tons of options to get more certifications (medication administration and g-tubes, mental health first aid to name some).  Not only is it great experience and gives you a chance to work with an underserved population (also good for PA apps), it was also a lot of fun :) 

Good luck!

Direct patient care experience! I know everyone has said that, but it's true.  Try to get a job as a nurses aid or a medical aid.  I think that's the easiest to go for without requiring any further schooling, but there are courses for that.  I took a CNA course when I was first looking into PA school that was about 3 weeks.  I would highly recommend it!

Archived