Active army- what's it like these days?

Nothing?

I'm asking because I've hit my limit in the Guard. I'm currently the unit commander for the state med det, and don't want to get into the political mix to go higher in the state. With 3 kids and 190-200 hours monthly at work, battalion command is too much. So it's either return to active component, or do another couple years of PHAs and retire.

AD is tight right now.  Current year groups in Major and looking for Major are over 120% strength in most cases.  They're working to develope more areas for field grade PA's but the AOC really wasn't built for people to stick around that long.  We are also affected by the force caps for officers so the only way to develope more slots is to steal them away from other AOC's within the AMEDD, which is a fight.  Overall the OPTEMPO right now is fierce and I expect that there will be a lot of turn over in the coming years esepcially after the discontinuation of the service bonus for mid-career PA's.  This will increase some promotions but with downsizing and everything else there is still only so much room at the top.

I'm a currentlly serving AD PA.

• 4 months later...

Agree with everything Sapper said, and that's the main reason I got out. The in the zone pick-up rate for major is less than 50%.

That, and with the push for the "Soldier centered medical home", the hospital owns your credentials and is trying to make the aid station go away (cuz they can't be JACHO certified and you can't document RVU's). You can't serve two masters when your BN CDR rates you and the hospital owns your ability to practice.

Have you thought about the Reserves? Could command an FST or similar detachment.

Archived