Respiratory Therapy Courses to boost Science GPA?

I have looked over CASPA and it states that RT classes are considered "other Science" and I believe "other science" gets factored into the overall science GPA so I guess the classes will boost my GPA (as long as I rock them!) That is almost to good to be true! And yes the RT program I got into is accredited!

Hello,

I am planning on getting an AAS in Respiratory Therapy and working for a few years before applying to PA school. I have a BS in biological sciences with GPA 3.00 and sGPA 2.75. Will my courses taken in RT school count towards my science GPA?

Thanks!

They most certainly do. I'm a respiratory therapist and applied this year. If you have any questions fire away! Good luck.

Thanks for the confirmation gator! How many years have you been an RRT? I am leaving a pretty decent career to pursue this so I want to make sure I am going to have a pretty good shot at getting into a PA program however, I have shadowed the field and I think that I would still enjoy it even if I do not get into a PA school.

Ironically enough, I started out rt school with nearly identical gpas. I initially got into the field with the intention of making a career out of it, and didn't decide to try for pa school until last year. I've been an rt for about 2 and a half years, with 4000 hours of clinical respiratory experience. My associates in respiratory brought me up to a 3.2 overall with a 3.0 science gpa. Even with my experience, I consider myself at this point a borderline candidate for pa school. Honestly I enjoy being a respiratory therapist, so this doesn't really bother me. My advice would be to make sure you like respiratory before investing in school, in the case that you can't get into pa school. You don't want to get stuck in a field you don't care for!

^anyone who works around RT's understand that its top notch HCE, though. you might consider yourself borderline due to the grades, but if you apply to the right programs (the awesome ones) you might be surprised. there really is something to be said for deciding if thats what you want to do, because that will be your niche until you go back to school for something else. same goes for radiology, lab, pharmacy. nursing has amazing variety, but has its own drawbacks. RT is also fairly high stakes every day you come to work. if you end up having a day where you can sit back and chill, it will only be because fate didnt put a crazy case or four in your lap. im probably not telling you anything you dont already know (or wont find out in your research).

Thanks for the encouragement PAMAC. It seems those "awesome programs" are few and far in-between and disappearing; making way for the students with 4.0's. I'll never understand this shift. The PA profession was intended for those with significant health care experience (Corpsman). I know the studies claim HCE isn't necessary to produce students that can pass the PANCE.....but I find it hard to believe that these 4.0 0 HCE type of applicants are going to be able to function more efficiently than someone with a 3.0 GPA and experience in the field.

Good luck, Zeizd. I have been an RT for 5 years. I'm leaving a great position at a wonderful hospital to go to PA school. I work at a Women's and Children's Specialty Hospital (Nicu, Picu, Peds) and love it. It has actually inspired me to go back to school. It seems in our area though, RT's are not in much demand. Healthcare cuts have forced us to make due with less staff, which really sucks. We're fortunate at our hospital to be able to run full staff at all times on our shift because we do transports and have in-house transport teams. I can't really comment on how much the GPA thing will help because my GPA from my Bachelor's was basically the same as my RT schooling, so they were a wash. I think the experience was a huge plus when I applied. My interviewers seemed pretty impressed with the things I've done and I noticed a definite lack of true HCE among the other interviewees.

It really is too bad that the shift has become toward the high GPA students. Despite what most applicants claim I'm willing to bet that a good portion are applying because of the salary and job prospects. I attended a PA program open house and one of the students invited to speak even said to the audience that when she gets stressed she just thinks about the money waiting when she graduates.

I am definately a non-traditional applicant at 42. I spent 20 years working in IT before realizing money wasn't as important as working in a career where I could help people. I left a 6 figure income in IT a few months ago to focus on my pre-req's. Problem is I don't stand a chance against all the 22 year old 4.0's. It really is frustrating to know I am choosing this path based on a true desire to help people and will most likely lose out to people who are only in it for the money.

Certainly it's not unreasonable but frankly I feel that it comes down to grades alone. A 3.8-4.0 and 1000 hours paid HCE is what schools are looking for. Frankly I'd wish they'd just come out and say it. All the nonsense about "life experience" and "balance" is akin to spitting in one's face.

"Welcome to PA program _____. We are currently looking for 4.0 science pre-req students with thousands of hours in EMS. We really don't give a rats *** about what student organizations you were in or any of that silly stuff. Just show us the numbers and show us the bucks and we'll mint you as a new PA! (Note: Those with a B science average need not concern themselves with medicine, leave it to the big people. P.S: It's cute that you tried though!")

Okay, so a bit cynical but that's really the direction I feel the admission comms moving towards. As I prepare to take the GRE and wrap up my last science class, I can only wonder at my chances as the pre-meds, pre-PTs, and nursing students become the majority of the PA applicant pool. (Yes, I do have a low B average for science and an A average overall, 1000+ HCE hours).

Hopefully, I'm not invisible to them. Here's to hoping! :=D:

I must have put forth the wrong stance. It's not an issue of "buckling down" for me otherwise I wouldn't have the grades and extra curricular experience I have.

I'm simply pointing out that it's a bit odd to see program descriptions droning on and on about material outside of grades and when you see their average applicant stats it's primarily 3.5+ science.

I've had nothing but GOOD experiences calling the programs and getting a more honest response regarding grades, my beef is that the program advertising suggests a broad spectrum of candidate review when it seems that many send you to the circular file if you don't meet par (which I do fear is happening to many B sGPA students as the applicant pool grows larger and review trends towards grades, not HCE).

By the way PAMAC, did your interviews go well? Which programs did you apply to.

Very interesting! Right now I'm looking into accelerated BSN programs, glad to hear you got into one! I figure that since the nursing grades add into CASPA and the experience is solid an RN or BSN can only help. Do you mind if I pick your brain here in a few months about how the program is going? My concerns for leaving the area i'm in are the same as yours, would like to hear what your take on it is once you get going with it.

Hey sam2010 after alot of thinking I think I maay forgo my RT degree and go for my BSN also! I am just worried that if I get an RT degree and dont make it into PA school or decide I dont want to be a PA I cant really move out of RT. Atleast with nursing you can move around alot more. Great minds think alike!:=D:

I must have put forth the wrong stance. It's not an issue of "buckling down" for me otherwise I wouldn't have the grades and extra curricular experience I have.

I'm simply pointing out that it's a bit odd to see program descriptions droning on and on about material outside of grades and when you see their average applicant stats it's primarily 3.5+ science.

I've had nothing but GOOD experiences calling the programs and getting a more honest response regarding grades, my beef is that the program advertising suggests a broad spectrum of candidate review when it seems that many send you to the circular file if you don't meet par (which I do fear is happening to many B sGPA students as the applicant pool grows larger and review trends towards grades, not HCE).

By the way PAMAC, did your interviews go well? Which programs did you apply to.

I'll just point out that an average GPA of 3.5 means there are some accepted students with ~3.9 GPAs and some with ~3.1 GPAs. GPA certainly matters but for many schools it's not to the degree that you think.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I am planning on getting an AAS in Respiratory Therapy and working for a few years before applying to PA school. I have a BS in biological sciences with GPA 3.00 and sGPA 2.75. Will my courses taken in RT school count towards my science GPA?

Thanks!

Its good that your looking into Respiratory, but don't get confused, it is a tough program. I graduated from Respiratory school about 7-8 months ago and have been an RRT since. I work at a large Level 1 trauma center and we are required to know and do a lot. A lot of people get the wrong perception of Respiratory especially those at smaller hospitals. They think we just giving breathing treatments and throw on nasal cannula s. In my area we are required to intubate, run ventilators, run oscillators, perform a-lines, assist in bronchs and perc trachs, run balloon pumps, assist and monitor PA caths, run cell savers....and the list goes on. Now I don't know where your from but with that being said my schooling was no where near easy. If your taking it to "raise" your GPA than I suggest you get a little more serious about it. We have to take three separate boards which are extremely challenging. Remember RT`s are specialized in the heart/lungs so we are expected to know every little thing. You would be surprised how little Dr.`s (besides pulms.) know about ventilators and how the lungs work, it amazes me! GOOD LUCK if you have any questions let me know.

Archived