NHSC Out of Money? NHSC Job Hunt-

I heard recently that supposedly the NHSC ran out of funds this year, anybody know if this is true? Everything I find via google talks about INCREASED budget, and INCREASED medical providers, etc. It would be good to know if there was anything to be worried about.

Also, what's with all the NHSC sudden decrease in available jobs? One week there was 41 different openings in Georgia, then 2 weeks later NONE. Did something happen (like lack of funding), or was this all coincidental to people being hired?

I graduate in about a year. NHSC is my first priority in job acquisition. However, there are currently only 17 positions available in the whole nation- I counted. State by state. So to get a head start on any positions that may become available I've thought about sending out a letter of interest to NHSC approved sites (not necessarily ones that have open positions) to places where I'd feel comfortable moving my family to. Has anybody else done this or had luck doing this? Is this professionally appropriate? What would you say in the letter if you were to send one out?

From what I understand there is a yearly budget (which probably was increased this year) and as applications roll in that meet the criteria, funds are allocated to medical professionals for loan repayment. So it would make sense that the budgeted amount for the year would be awarded before the last quarter and 'funds would run out'.

As far as approved sites - In the past I have noticed that the web site was not 100% accurate on which sites qualified and which did not. If your site was not on the list you could have the site apply for qualification and if approved it would be possible for you to apply for the NHSC loan repayment at that site.

Perhaps now that they've increased the budget and the program is getting more attention/publicity they are putting more effort into the web site being correct? This is my guess, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just at the NHSC awardee conference in L.A. Very informative. Their budget increases by 5 million a year up to 2015. FY 2011 budget is 290 million. Loan repayment is the way to go if you can do it. I thought I heard in the plenary session that LRP applications opens up again soon. Like maybe this week. You might contact them.

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/applicationprocess/index.html

L

ate Fall 2011? It's almost Winter 2012!

Anyone know anything concrete?

Still patiently waiting...

The wait is over -- it's open now.

One thing I noticed that I hadn't seen before is that a HPSA score of 14 and up is considered for 60K, and anything less than 14 is now only up to 40K.

Good luck all!

Archived