Hi, Lesh

My science gpa from Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, and Chemistry is 3.5 because of the C in general Chemistry from 2005. Should I retake general Chem or apply? And I ask the counselor regarding HCE and they told me that pharmacy technician count as HCE. I have been working as a pharmacy tech for over 4000 hours. Also, I had shadow MD in a primary care setting. Is that competitive for HCE? Thank You very much.

Hi, Lesh

My science gpa from Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, and Chemistry is 3.5 because of the C in general Chemistry from 2005. Should I retake general Chem or apply? And I ask the counselor regarding HCE and they told me that pharmacy technician count as HCE. I have been working as a pharmacy tech for over 4000 hours. Also, I had shadow MD in a primary care setting. Is that competitive for HCE? Thank You very much.

I highly recommend shadowing 3 different types of PAs... Primary Care and two others :)

Seeing the last few posts has me a little discouraged. I fall into the same boat, my pre-reqs are good but I have a C in chemistry from 2006 haunting me. I tried to retake the class but was denied by admissions at FCC and Reedley College because I had a passing grade in the past. I even told them I needed at least a B to be competitive, filled out a petition, and provided them with documentation from the website showing so and was still denied. :/ Am I doomed? :(

Seeing the last few posts has me a little discouraged. I fall into the same boat, my pre-reqs are good but I have a C in chemistry from 2006 haunting me. I tried to retake the class but was denied by admissions at FCC and Reedley College because I had a passing grade in the past. I even told them I needed at least a B to be competitive, filled out a petition, and provided them with documentation from the website showing so and was still denied. :/ Am I doomed? :(

Do you have a copy of the denial? Bring it to the interview. If one has the prereqs with GPA listed, patient care hours, community service, understands the mission of the program and has shown potential to meet that mission, they will get their opportunity to interview. Applicants have to take it from there. I'm just trying to give applicants a heads up. Sorry if it is discouraging. I am not trying to create stress, I am trying to help applicants put the best package forward.

:/ Am I doomed? :(

Were you in the audience Saturday? I don't remember if you said you were attending. I asked if some folks were on the forum and a few raised their hands. The SJVC students summed it up nicely. I think all had a BS in biological sciences from state universities with hard Bioscience undergrad curriculums. One was in the MMS program. Every one of them admitted to the rigorous academics of the PA program. The Jr. student that spoke had finished finals Friday. Saturday was the first time I have seen her smile the whole week. To be honest, and knowing the dynamics of SJVC's admission process, what I offer on the forum is the most "inside" information on the process that I can, and think folks can handle. lol.

The admission process is just that. A process. I agree with others that applicants should try to present the best application they can. We know the situation with the prereqs, but we also know the biological science prereqs are one academic indicator of sucess in the first term.

All that said, you are only doomed if you give up your goal of becoming a PA. People are getting over the obstacles the CCs, CSUs, UCs are experiencing. The Program is trying to work on flexibility and totality of applicant evaluation. IMHO the recent graduate that spoke Saturday said it best "The first year is brutal." Our goal is for students to succeed

People with C in Chemistry have gotten in the program. That won't hold the right applicant to the program back IMHO. Like others have said folks get in programs with less than the coveted 3.something GPA. But there are more that had to reapply, so if one doesn't get in the first try we tend to tell people what to do to improve their application. If they do it their chances of enrollment usually goes up. It's about the applicant. They have to prove in the interview they have potential to succeed and meet the mission. The sad fact is that nobody really knows that until they get in the program. I've seen the 3. something GPA, and the tons of HCE students crash and burn. Its sad but it happens.

559 you have something going for you that the 818 doesn't so apply. That being said I have to admit that the folks that spoke Saturday were all from outside the Central Valley. One stayed after graduation, two thinking about it and have been offered jobs, and two I think are going back. So to those who are discouraged about our mission statement we admit folks from outside the area.

Hope this helps.

LesH

Were you in the audience Saturday? I don't remember if you said you were attending. I asked if some folks were on the forum and a few raised their hands. The SJVC students summed it up nicely. I think all had a BS in biological sciences from state universities with hard Bioscience undergrad curriculums. One was in the MMS program. Every one of them admitted to the rigorous academics of the PA program. The Jr. student that spoke had finished finals Friday. Saturday was the first time I have seen her smile the whole week. To be honest, and knowing the dynamics of SJVC's admission process, what I offer on the forum is the most "inside" information on the process that I can, and think folks can handle. lol.

The admission process is just that. A process. I agree with others that applicants should try to present the best application they can. We know the situation with the prereqs, but we also know the biological science prereqs are one academic indicator of sucess in the first term.

All that said, you are only doomed if you give up your goal of becoming a PA. People are getting over the obstacles the CCs, CSUs, UCs are experiencing. The Program is trying to work on flexibility and totality of applicant evaluation. IMHO the recent graduate that spoke Saturday said it best "The first year is brutal." Our goal is for students to succeed

People with C in Chemistry have gotten in the program. That won't hold the right applicant to the program back IMHO. Like others have said folks get in programs with less than the coveted 3.something GPA. But there are more that had to reapply, so if one doesn't get in the first try we tend to tell people what to do to improve their application. If they do it their chances of enrollment usually goes up. It's about the applicant. They have to prove in the interview they have potential to succeed and meet the mission. The sad fact is that nobody really knows that until they get in the program. I've seen the 3. something GPA, and the tons of HCE students crash and burn. Its sad but it happens.

559 you have something going for you that the 818 doesn't so apply. That being said I have to admit that the folks that spoke Saturday were all from outside the Central Valley. One stayed after graduation, two thinking about it and have been offered jobs, and two I think are going back. So to those who are discouraged about our mission statement we admit folks from outside the area.

Hope this helps.

LesH

That was a great response. I RSVP for the December 3rd open house and almost have my application completed.

LESH,

I am from Texas, but I applied to SJVC because I have family in California and am wanting to relocate. This does not translate into any aspect of my application, as there really wasn't a way to express this desire. That is my goal, which is why I applied to SJVC. Can you recommend any way of me getting this point across to the admissions committee?

LESH,

I am from Texas, but I applied to SJVC because I have family in California and am wanting to relocate. This does not translate into any aspect of my application, as there really wasn't a way to express this desire. That is my goal, which is why I applied to SJVC. Can you recommend any way of me getting this point across to the admissions committee?

I think you pretty much said it. What will have to be determined is the makeup of the class and potential to meet our mission with 70% of graduates in PC medically underserved areas of Ca. with the majority in the Central Valley.

Hey Lesh, Yeah I was in attendance Saturday and I must say that the info session was awesome. What I loved most about the info session was probably seeing how you and the current students interacted with each other. It seems like the faculty and class are so close with one another and all together they make in through their years together. It was really awesome to see how everyone depends on each other at the program on their way to becoming a PA. After seeing the presentation it only made me want to be a prospective PA student at SJVC so much more.

And as for my dilemma, I'm hoping FCC keeps on file a copy of the petitions they receive from students. I was also wondering since i'm not able to retake general chemistry would it be okay to also write down my upper division chemistry grade. I did fairly well in the class and am looking for anything to help strengthen my application.

Thanks again for all the info Lesh. Time to apply and hope for the best.

I was also wondering since i'm not able to retake general chemistry would it be okay to also write down my upper division chemistry grade. I did fairly well in the class and am looking for anything to help strengthen my application.

Yes, especially if there was a lab with it.

Lesh,

Do you know if pharmacy technician count as paid HCE? I have been in the pharmacy for 5 years now. I had volunteer at a primary care clinic for 320 hours. And now I am going to volunteer at a hospital. What else do you recommend I should do? Thank you very much.

Yes it does. There have been several Pharm Techs accepted into the program over the years. Spend more time in primary care.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lesh, so from reading from the above statements, I also have some higher division courses that I have recieved better grades than what the prerequisite courses are for the PA program. Is it allowable to put those higher division courses in the prerequisite sheet of the application? like everyone is saying, better chances of getting an interview? I would appreciate any help as I will be sending off my application in the next week.

thank you

alex

It depends on the prereqisite. If the program feels that the course could be easily defended to the ARC-PA and the PAC there should not be a problem. You will need to include a course description. It is always best (from a program evaluation point of view) to submit what is asked.

Archived