Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding how much weight an applicants GPA has on the overall application. I think I'm a good fit for this school, but I will have difficulty proving that with my much-to-low GPA. I'm working hard to improve it before the next cycle of applications comes around, but am hoping for a 2.5 by the end of the semester so I can kind of go through a practice application this time around. So my question is, if I fall slightly below the 2.5 GPA and still apply this time around will they just throw my application out without looking at it? Or is there a chance that they'll review the rest and point out any other areas that I may be lacking in (which hopefully is none!)?

Thank in advance :)

I'm a first time applicant myself, so my words won't carry as much weight as some of the other salty dogs on here. But, in my experience, you want to exceed the minimums as much as possible. Think about it from their perspective: Why should they take a chance on someone with an under performing GPA? Its good that you're trying to raise it up, and i'm sure an upward progression will look much better on your app. But as to whether or not they'll toss your app out at first sight is beyond my scope on this thread...

Keep your eye on the prize and lift that GPA up. Do you have any HCE? That's another aspect of the app that will be looked at as well.

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding how much weight an applicants GPA has on the overall application. I think I'm a good fit for this school, but I will have difficulty proving that with my much-to-low GPA. I'm working hard to improve it before the next cycle of applications comes around, but am hoping for a 2.5 by the end of the semester so I can kind of go through a practice application this time around. So my question is, if I fall slightly below the 2.5 GPA and still apply this time around will they just throw my application out without looking at it? Or is there a chance that they'll review the rest and point out any other areas that I may be lacking in (which hopefully is none!)?

Thank in advance :)

Get the GPA up. Falling below the required gpa will not get an interview. Having the minimum gpa will not guarantee admissions. Def make sure your science gpa is a 3.0.

Hi LESH,

I am from Texas and have always wanted to move to California, which is why I applied to SJVC. I have a good GPA ~3.0 and I also have a Bachelor's in Biology. I have over 5000 hours of patient care experience as well as quite a bit of shadow time (from an NP, 2 PA's, and several physicians in different specialties). This is not included in my 5000 of patient care experience. I also have been doing Vascular Ultrasound and am eligible in December to take my certification exam. (You must have a certain amount of studies on your own before you are eligible.) I full anticipate passing this to become a Registered Vascular Technologist.

From everything I have read, it seems that SJVC really only takes student from the Central Valley. Do I have any shot of getting in being from Texas? If I have good credentials will my current location affect my chance of getting in?

Thank you,

Rachael Anderson

I think a low GPA will get you an interview if they see that you have a lot to offer. I myself have a low GPA and received two interviews last year and two this year so far. I also know people who have gotten accepted with a lower GPA than mine so don't be discouraged. Obviously work really hard to repeat any classes and work on becoming a better candidate, but i honestly believe you will have your chance. If it is not the first year you apply maybe the year after, but you will have a chance. Don't let your GPA discourage you. Just keep taking or repeating classes and get more hce hrs, volunteer, research, etc. I wish you the very best and my best advice to you is to keep trying no matter how many times you get rejected. Never give up:)

Gctouro, thank you very much for your in put. Your words are very encouraging! Good luck with your interviews, I hope you get in!

LesH, thanks for your response. I plan to have at least a 2.8 when I apply next time, although I have never actually calculated my science GPA separately.

CorpsmanPA, thank you also! Your make a valid point regarding the GPA standards, but I will keep my eye on the prize. I have 6 years of HCE and a lot of small volunteer projects throughout my college career thus far.

My experience is that GPA is only one of many things programs look at. If you bring other things to the table it may be less of an issue. My GPA was very low out of college. I took courses later for my own interest and had all straight A's. This was not enough to make an overall GPA look good, but I believe it showed that I had grown up some. I also think other experience plays a very large role in the selection process. It doesn't hurt to apply!

I also need to raise my GPA to make it more competitive. Does anyone know if it is preffered by SJVC to have applicants retake classes and do better in them or to take higher level classes and do well in them the first time around? This question is not, however, in regards to the prerequisites, just general classes that may boost GPA. Thanks!

I also need to raise my GPA to make it more competitive.

That is a good idea. SJVC looks at the total application. GPA is important. Community service is important. Knowledge of the profession. Paid experience is better than volunteer. So the more clinical experience the better. The potential to practice Primary Care in the Central Valley is very important (Know the program's mission statement. If it does not appeal to you please don't apply. You won't be happy. Just saying).

Does anyone know if it is preffered by SJVC to have applicants retake classes and do better in them or to take higher level classes and do well in them the first time around? This question is not, however, in regards to the prerequisites, just general classes that may boost GPA. Thanks!

Either way will be alright. Just demonstrate ability to handle the academic rigor of the program.

Lesh

Hi LESH,

From everything I have read, it seems that SJVC really only takes student from the Central Valley. Do I have any shot of getting in being from Texas? If I have good credentials will my current location affect my chance of getting in?

Thank you,Rachael Anderson

Hi Rachael,

I can't say if you have a shot or not. There are students from outside the CV and California, but the percentage varies from year to year. Its never been more that 30% and the majority of those students had ties to the CV. SJVC is a mission driven program. Our clinical preceptors depend upon our graduates to help meet their workforce needs. So we are always looking for applicants with that potential. Being a CV resident has proven to be the only thing we can really depend on when it comes down to where graduates practice.

You can be surprised sometimes because I do know people who have been accepted to PA school with a GPA lower than the required minimumGPA. You just have to really make up for it and really show what you have to offer.

Okay. Respectfully speaking, I'm not going to doubt your experiences or argue. We will have to agree to disagree.

LesH

Just for clarification, when you say make sure your science GPA is a 3.0 do you mean overall science GPA or pre-req grades?

This is from the CASPA FAQ Section:

Your Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• Biology/Zoology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Biochemistry
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Science
  • Physics

***Other Science = Other Science

• Agricultural Science
  • Astronomy
  • Athletic Training (not PE courses)
  • Bioethics
  • Chiropractic
  • Dentistry
  • Electronics
  • Emergency Med-Tech (EMT)
  • Engineering
  • Epidemiology
  • Environmental Science
  • Exercise Physiology
  • Exercise Science
  • First Aid/CPR
  • Geology
  • Gerontology
  • Health Science
  • Kinesiology
  • Medical Technology
  • Meteorology
  • Nursing
  • Nutrition
  • Oceanography
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Pharmacology
  • Physical Anthropology
  • Physical Geography
  • Physical Science
  • Physical Therapy
  • Physician Assistant
  • Public Health
  • Radiology
  • Respiratory Therapy
  • Sport Medicine
  • Teaching Science

Student_559. SJVC is not a CASPA program. They really don't follow what CASPA recommends or says. Trust me on this one. Just make sure that you have the published minimum GPA and HCE. You should have a 3.0 in the four biological science prereqs or the interview can get stressful. What is being recommended by others here is great for the other schools you may apply, but if you asking specifically about SJVC trust me on this one.

I sorta have the inside scoop...lol

The way the GPA thing was explained to me by my program is you must meet the minimum published GPA of the program. This is the bench mark they have set for themselves with the ARC-PA and if they take students below that mark then they are not following their accreditation standard. I may be off a bit but the whole idea of it revolves around the accreditation of the program and doing what they say they are doing.

To give you an idea of the competitive nature of this program, and all PA schools for that matter, these were my stats.

Overall GPA 3.21

Science GPA 3.09

HCE: >35,000hrs as an ER-RN

Central Valley transplant from Alabama.

I was rejected the 1st time I applied, wait listed the 2nd time and then accepted the next day after being told I was on the wait list.

This is the bench mark they have set for themselves with the ARC-PA and if they take students below that mark then they are not following their accreditation standard. I may be off a bit but the whole idea of it revolves around the accreditation of the program and doing what they say they are doing.

You are on the money Craig.

Archived