Which is better HCE?

Hi! I know doing clerical work is not considered HCE. However, I don't have any certifications or anything like that, so I'm just trying to build up any volunteer experience I can get. I am a Junior in college, and I have found both a local hospital and a local free clinic that are in need of volunteers. Which should I go with. I also work, so I don't have enough time to do both.

At the hospital I will likely be "on-call" on the floor. This entails admitting/discharging patients, transporting orders to pharmacy, transporting scans, etc.

My other option is a free clinic. There, I will be doing strictly clerical work. The only other volunteer option they have is for professionals, of which I am not.

Which would be a better opportunity?

Considering that they are volunteer positions and neither is really patient care at all, it's up to you.  They are essentially the same from a PA application stance.  So do whichever sounds more interesting/works with your schedule/ will allow you to access more PAs/etc.

But I won't have any licences for at least another 2 years. By then, I will have moved back home, 3 hours away. 

Not all positions *require* license/certification.  It can vary by state and even by organization.  Having your foot in the door in some capacity may give you an edge to get a position as opposed to applying as a faceless name.  You'll never know until you try.

Not all positions *require* license/certification.  It can vary by state and even by organization.  Having your foot in the door in some capacity may give you an edge to get a position as opposed to applying as a faceless name.  You'll never know until you try.

The clinic only allows licensed volunteers to actually work with patients.

Then no point. How I look at life is, if I give my time and day to benefit your organization, your organization must be of some benefit to me.

That's why I'm leaning more towards the hospital. I can at least build contacts there because I will be meeting so many healthcare professionals. The free clinic only has a handful of professionals, and I would be in an office with the admin director.

Have you considered scribing? While not direct HCE, it is seen as very valuable preparation to most schools and doesn't require a certification (it's also really fun!). I used it as HCE and have had 5 interviews and an acceptance. Also, consider getting a CNA cert. It took me 3 weeks over one summer and was an easy way to earn hours.

Not trying to bash your options, just hoping to expand your options to give you the best chance! 

Archived