Is Masters the second choice to get into PA school?

Hi everyone.

I am new to this forum, but luckily heard about this through the indeed website. I am a post-graduate student for 3 years now, and I have been shadowing physicians and also working on research projects. I have a very low gpa, ~2.67. I want to do PA school, but the school that I applied to, rejected me. Should I not waste time applying to any more PA programs, and think about joining grad school and get a masters.

It seems that the programs require a competitive gpa, and that is what I lack. If I do aspire for a masters, then which one is benificial for PA school...Master of Biology, or Masters of Public Health??

Please let me know what you think...I really want to get back on track and not dwell over the rejection.

You have to get your GPA up. Way up. Getting a post-graduate degree alone will have no effect on getting into PA school unless you get your GPA into the mid 3's at a minimum. What the degree is in is not as important as the grades you get in the PA pre-reqs.

Also, you will need a lot of direct patient care hours. Shadowing MD's is nice, but of little help when trying to get into PA school.

Good luck!

Ditto. Stop wasting time shadowing physicians... if you absolutely have to shadow, at least shadow a PA. :) And unless your research is going to cure cancer or is for some huge impressive university, get a job that involves physical interaction with human patients.

There's a lot of information on this board for people who have been in your situation (low GPA, been out of school for a few years, don't really wanna retake all those pesky undergrad classes even though you know you probably should) if you care to look.

I agree with the above. You can get into PA school, but it may take some time. Sit it out for a little bit, take some classes over and do well in them. Take other high level science classes and do well in those also. And definitely get quality healthcare experience.

Be mindful of which programs you are applying to also. This is key.

Archived