Interview: 5 months pregnant. What do I wear?

Hello!

So just after I applied to school this year, I found out I was pregnant. Surprise! Now I have an interview at my top choice, and I'm not sure what to wear, what to say, etc.

I don't want to buy a maternity suit because I'll never wear it again (this is number 2, and we're done after this). But I will if that is really the only way to go.

I'd like to hide it as much as possible, although as its my second pregnancy I'm definitely showing already at 4 months.

So - do I need to buy a maternity suit, or can I wear a nice maternity dress and a blazer?

Any thoughts on hiding it vs. not?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Hello!

So just after I applied to school this year, I found out I was pregnant. Surprise! Now I have an interview at my top choice, and I'm not sure what to wear, what to say, etc.

I don't want to buy a maternity suit because I'll never wear it again (this is number 2, and we're done after this). But I will if that is really the only way to go.

I'd like to hide it as much as possible, although as its my second pregnancy I'm definitely showing already at 4 months.

So - do I need to buy a maternity suit, or can I wear a nice maternity dress and a blazer?

Any thoughts on hiding it vs. not?

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Hi Ellekay- I know I'm a bit late on this post but how did it go? Are you currently a student or did you finish PA school? I am pregnant myself, already accepted, and due in May during the summer term. I was wondering how life went for you if you were in PA school with a newborn? There doesn't seem to much on the internet as far as people talking about their success/failurestories dealing the PA life and a newborn/pregnancy.

Hi Ellekay- I know I'm a bit late on this post but how did it go? Are you currently a student or did you finish PA school? I am pregnant myself, already accepted, and due in May during the summer term. I was wondering how life went for you if you were in PA school with a newborn? There doesn't seem to much on the internet as far as people talking about their success/failurestories dealing the PA life and a newborn/pregnancy.

The OP posted this thread about 13 hours ago so I'm pretty sure she hasn't made it into PA school yet, lol.

The OP posted this thread about 13 hours ago so I'm pretty sure she hasn't made it into PA school yet, lol.

I am not sure how much you can do to hide it- those second children pop out fast don't they :wink:? My gut reaction is that you should buy a maternity suit. You will look more polished and professional and the bump might not be quite as obvious. I don't know how large you are in other areas compared to your normal size, but you could also think about buying a regular suit (one you would wear again) and using a belly band to hold the top of the pants open. You could get a little larger jacket than normal and then have it altered once you get back to your normal size. Or you could use black slacks and a nice maternity blazer- maybe that wouldn't be quite as expensive. If you are obviously showing, I would bring it up and tell how you and your husband have made plans to cope with having a young baby during PA school. I wouldn't want to not address it and then have adcoms wondering if I could handle it. But, I am just a pre-PA, so take my advice for what its worth!

Oh- and congratulations on an interview at your first choice!

HTKYTE- congratulations on your acceptance! There is a blog at www.mothersinmedicine.com that you might find helpful. It is written by physicians, but I think there would probably be some applicable advice there.

Guest askyoulc

My mom's situation was a little different because she wasn't pregnant when she interviewed, but she had me during the spring semester of her first year of medical school and she said it was doable. She said that she never officially said anything to them, but just kept up with the work and it wasn't a problem. Don't know if that helps. Good luck on your interview!

Thanks for the responses! I'm not *trying* to hide the fact that I'm pregnant - I'm due 8 weeks before the program starts and my son was three weeks early. I realize it is going to be challenging (to say the least!) - but this is what I want to do with my life, and it took me a long time to figure it out - so I'm going to try my hardest to get in! I'm just worried that the interviewers would hold my pregnancy against me - so I certainly don't want to flaunt it.

I decided to buy a regular suit in a larger size that I hopefully can have tailored once I'm no longer pregnant. Actually - I bought two. Black and grey. Thoughts?! Is it ok if I can't totally button up the jacket? I can definitely button it with room now, but who knows in three weeks...

Thanks folks! Much appreciated!

I'm just worried that the interviewers would hold my pregnancy against me - so I certainly don't want to flaunt it.

Don't be so sure ... these people have seen every and all types of situations in their applicants, trust me. The issue could be someone who HAD known a student where it had ended negatively, or a faculty who is younger and less experienced.

Your key is going to be impressing them with how else in life you have conquered trials and tribulations. You'll have to prove to them that you know exactly what you're getting into and how you plan to deal with this coming attraction, and I mean be detailed. Actually, you could turn this into one hell of a personal essay!

• 5 weeks later...

Well, you may have already interviewed by now...

I am a mother also and am trying to get into a program. My children are 6 and 3 now and I still worry how family responsibilities are perceived by the adcoms. I am a radiographer and interviewed for a job/position while I was 5 1/2 months pregnant for my first child. I recommend addressing it. My opinion only-dress professionally as we obviously can be a mother and a professional both, and discuss your plans for being successful in school while raising your children. If it was me, and I didn't address it I would wonder endlessly if there was something I could have said to influence their thoughts on the matter. Please let us know how it goes, and of course-- Good Luck!

If the baby bump is noticeable well then address it, afterall the faculty are trained medical professionals likely to notice the bump. What they really want to know is can you pass your classes and PANCE! So why not bring it up. No need to go into specifics. You can simply say that your due date is before classes begin and what your plans are for childcare. That your family/hubby are going to be there to help when you have sick kid etc....And most importantly how you will be able to study! Like "My husband and I discussed that M-TH after dinner I will be able to study from 7-11 p.m. and from 12-5 p on Saturday/Sunday...." Also point out if you did your pre-req and worked and had baby number 1 how you did that. Good luck let us know how it goes!

ellekay,

How did it go?? I'm currently 24 weeks and am interviewing at my top choice next weekend! This is #2 for me as well but surprisingly, I started to show almost as late as my first. In my daily outings, I wear maternity clothes and definitely look pregnant but small. Last week, I went shopping and found a suit jacket that completely hides my bump yet is still flattering (anne taylor--usually I wear petite but I got regular, which is a little longer--very helpful). I plan to wear it with my black maternity dress pants the first day and with a stretch fabric suit skirt the second day. Nobody that I've asked (strangers and family) would assume I was pregnant so I think I'm just going to let the interview be the interview. I'll certainly discuss our daughter and how I've managed to balance life with her while taking classes, etc. and the support I have from my husband (who will take on the role of full-time dad).

It was a huge concern for me as well but now I am taking the focus off of that and concentrating on other preparations! Not only is this school my top choice, it's my only choice!

All the best and look forward to hearing how it went!

Archived