Interviews Fall 2011

This is going to sound pretty generic but first and foremost go in relaxed and be yourself. The interviewers are very good about spotting fake. They are really dedicated to the program and finding applicants that they feel are a good fit....they already like how you look on paper and academic wise.....from this point its about you and making sure youre a good fit personality wise and its also a chance to give you a moment to see if you fit in personality wise. Emory is not cheap and it would suck to get here only to realize that you said yes for the wrong reasons.

Learn everything you can about current events, the program and profession--come to the interview with knowledge. Come knowing yourself and why you want to do this and how you plan to survive it. Its good to do mock interviews but dont create canned answers--have a general idea of what you would say if you are asked something but do not rehearse what you want to say. Understand that you may be asked typical questions but atypical is also possible so when you practice interviewing have some ask you weird questions just to get use to being knocked off your game.

Dressing professional is necessary but you black is not a requirement people! I wore a brown suit with a turtle neck (it snowed)....standing out helps as long as youre professional with it.

Get here early and do a previsit if youre not from the area. Traffic sucks and nothing is worse than getting stuck in traffic AND being lost. Emory does have the option to possibly stay with a current first year student and many of us live near the campus so you can either ride in with us or jump on the campus shuttle for free as well as Marta.

We have people in our class that are quite....not standoffish, not antisocial but quiet but I am pretty sure they werent during the interview process. Be social, communicate with students, staff and other applicants.. Get to know people--make yourself known.

Theres a ton of other things I could say but I think this is the most important stuff and you can apply this to any program....not just Emory.

Archived