Applying to schools that aren't accredited?

Are there pros and cons for applying to non-accredited programs? I applied to many schools this cycle and didn't look at non-accredited programs until the last second and I would just like to know what you guys think. If someone were to get into a non-accredited program, and then the program does not become accredited while they are a student, what would happen? And what would be the chances of that happening anyway?

aThere really only two kinds of PA programs that are not accredited:

1. Programs that are working to become accredited.  New programs must apply for accreditation and be evaluated by ARC-PA before they can graduate students.  Often, these programs can accept students because they are provisionally accredited,  but no student will graduate and be eligible for the licensing exam until the accreditation process is complete.  Provisional accreditation is a designation by ARC-PA that means a school is in the process of having its application for accreditation reviewed, and it is expected to pass (if all goes well, it will obtain accreditation).   It’s a little like being hired, pending a background check; if you pass the background check, the job is yours.  Provisional accreditation is limited to three years.  If a program cannot satisfy ARC-PA’s requirements in that time, they lose their accreditation status, and may not admit students.  Starting in an unaccredited program is risky.  It may turn out fine, but if some aspect of the program is lacking and can’t be fixed, the school’s accreditation may fall through, and then you’re out of luck.  Unless you have no other option, avoid unaccredited or provisionally accredited PA schools.
  2. Programs that have lost their accreditation.  This is a similar situation.  All programs have growing pains – times when their faculty, curriculum, funding, or other factors are in flux.  If a program has problems and is out of compliance with ARC-PA’s standards, it can lose its accreditation.  When this happens, the program must either close, or restart the accreditation process.  As an applicant, you usually won’t know that a program’s accreditation is in jeopardy until it is lost – they keep these things quiet.  End result?  It’s not something you should worry about unless you’re hearing big rumblings of problems at a program.

ahttp://www.mypatraining.com/pa-school-accreditation

I'm pretty sure if you are accepted and attend a provisionally accredited program you will be allowed to sit for the PANCE (even if it doesn't get accreditation).  Otherwise, how would any program every enroll the first 2 years of classes?  But I honestly haven't heard of a program NOT getting accreditation if it is awarded provisional status.  I HAVE seen schools think they were going to get provisional status and be denied that - which means ARC-PA is really only going to let schools start up that have their stuff in line to be successful.

Likewise, if you are attending an accredited program and it loses accreditation while you are attending, you are still allowed to sit for PANCE.

ARC-PA is on the look out for programs with issues, they aren't in the business of screwing over students.  Provisionally accredited programs are newer and don't have time tested curriculums like some of the older programs; you may experience some growing pains and learning curves as they figure out what works for them, but on the whole, a provisional program is fine.  Personally if I was going to do a provisional program, I would make sure that the staff they hired have worked with other PA programs (MGH did this, I think...the director had been a director previously elsewhere) and if that were the case, I'd say go for it.

I'd be much more concerned with a program on probation.  New programs are on their toes to prove themselves, programs on probation *may* have let something slack along the way and have glaring issues.  That's not always true - schools are usually transparent about what got them in that situation and how they are fixing it so it's a case by case thing.

If you apply to a provisionally accredited program, you can graduation and sit for the PANCE. If you apply to an unaccredited program (i.e., one that hasn't received its initial provisional accreditation), there is no guarantee that you can.

Sometimes schools apply to start a PA program and, in the end, don't. One large state university that will go nameless here did that. When the accreditation team came on-site, the team had so many questions that needed answering that the university decided to withdral their application for a program.

I would stick with accredited programs (including provisionally accredited ones).

Good luck.

Archived