Phone Interview?

Has anyone ever phone interviewed or have thoughts on phone interviewing? I am currently located in the middle east and am not sure what to do about interviews. If I could combine all my interviews (waiting to hear) into one week, I would fly in. I was just invited for an interview at Hofstra for the end of October but I doubt be asked to interview with other schools by then, as not all of them have rolling admissions. I do not want until later in the winter as I am sure my chances of getting in will fall. I am thinking about asking for a phone interview but I am not sure if that will hurt my chances.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated...

I would go ahead and ask as you have a very legit reason. (I'm assuming you're military.) The worst they can say is no, right?

The only school I've heard of doing phone interviews is Idaho State, but I wasn't looking for that option specifically. And even then, they recommend trying to make it in person.

Has anyone ever phone interviewed or have thoughts on phone interviewing? I am currently located in the middle east and am not sure what to do about interviews. If I could combine all my interviews (waiting to hear) into one week, I would fly in. I was just invited for an interview at Hofstra for the end of October but I doubt be asked to interview with other schools by then, as not all of them have rolling admissions. I do not want until later in the winter as I am sure my chances of getting in will fall. I am thinking about asking for a phone interview but I am not sure if that will hurt my chances.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated...

congrats on the interview...yea ask about the phone interview..btw i also applied to hofstra, when did you submitted ur supplemental app...because i haven't heard anything from them...=/

It has been MY experience that roundtrip plane tickets... on average cost $200-$300 for just about anywhere in the USA when purchased 30-60 days in advance.

It would be in your best interest to actually walk the campus, see the facilities, see the town/locale/milieu that you will be spending a significant amount of time and money on.

Fly in the night before (after 4pm)... get a CHEAP room, and fly out late the eveing of the interview (after 10pm).

The night before... go to the campus and pinpoint where the intevirews will be held. Then go to the mall and then somewhere in town for dinner.

This will allow you to guage how earliy to leave your hotel on interview day, and give you a sampling of nightlife in your potential new home.

Then after the interview, spend a little time in the area checking out rental rates, attractions, etc. Fly out after 10pm.

If you play it right... the only thing you will be paying for is the light and a few meals, because you may be able to stay overnight with a current student.

Point...

I hope you wouldn't buy a $80-100k vehicle over the phone... and you shouldn't make a decision on a school based upon a phone call.

Go see your investment.

YMMV

Contrarian

I agree. Even though it might be inconvenient and expensive to travel for your interviews, it pales in comparison to the actual cost of attendance. Visiting the schools is critical. After my interviews, my initial first choice school was not a good fit. I'm glad I learned that before the first day of classes.

The OP mentioned they were in the middle east. It may be a stretch, but I am assuming that is somewhere east of Egypt, south of Moscow, north of Mozambique, west of Mongolia...give or take.

To the OP...have you already visited their campus and have a solid idea of the program's mission statement, and if so, does it jive with your own desires/views? If you haven't seen it, do you have a local friend who understands you and can do a scouting mission for you?

The OP mentioned they were in the middle east.

Can't think of a single program that wouldn't accomodate the OP's schedule... by rescheduling his/her interview until the OP isn't in the middle east. If the OP demonstrated that he/she was serving our nation in uniform (not as a contractor).

Unless of course the rescheduling needed would cause the entire process to favor the OP above and beyond the other applicants. Then in this case... it would be the OP who's planning needed to be tuned a bit better.

Not saying this is the case, but we regularly get applications from servicemembers with 18months left on their service obligations. They somehow expect us to allow them what, start class in Jan. of the matriculating yr...??? When the class they would enter actually starts in September. As a veteran... I regularly advocate for "those who served"... but there is a point of rediculousness and/or entitlement that I can't condone.

So yeah... if all else fails, a phone interview will be ok... but it sure would suck to go from being a E-6 squad leader of a combat arms unit in the middle east, with autonomy to being locked into a classroom at some podunk program being treated like a highschooler... in a town that makes you suicidal/homicidal due to the local/yokals and remoteness.

Again, YMMV

Contrarian

Hi, thanks for all your responses. My husband and I and two kids have been living out here for the past few years. My husband is working here and we are involved in a lot of volunteer work, but I am not in the military. Tickets to fly into the states cost well over a 1000 dollars. I understand that it is important to go in and meet the interviewers in person and see the facility which I do intend to do. I am hoping to get interviews in other schools as well and do want to shell out a few thousand dollars to fly in for each interview.

I do think I will fly in at some point in the winter and want to go and personally meet the admissions staff in all the schools but don't want to wait until then to have an interview as that is much later in the process and will probably have less of a chance of getting in.

David89: I sent in my application in July and sent in my supplemental about a month ago. Just heard back from them last week! good luck!

I emailed the school and told them what my situation is and will see what they say. Maybe I can do a phone/video conference and they can give me a conditional yes (hopefully) until I go in for a formal interview...

Just an update... They were very understanding but do not want to give me a phone interview. I do understand this and I was not accepted, I think I would blame it on the fact that I did not get to interview personally. Hofstra has three interview dates generally and did tell me that I could wait and interview on a later date (they do not know the exact date though)

I think I am going to fly in for the first interview because I think my chances will be the greatest then. The tickets, because it is not far in advance and is following a holiday, are upwards of 2000 dollars, so I really hope my interview goes well!

Archived