No degree required for entry into Masters programs

The program at both Texas Tech and UTHSCSA appear to not require a BS/BA degree to apply to the program. Do the majority of applicants still have a BS/BA degree when they apply to these schools and if I applied without a degree but met all their pre-reqs would I have less of a chance to get in over someone who had a degree. I do have an AAS in EMS, but no BS/BA. Thanks for all the advice in advance and I love this site so glad I found it.

I have come accross some programs that are Masters programs that allows applicants who have not received a BS/BA apply. These are usually refered to Bachelor degree option programs. What they can be are programs that accept an applicant that has significant healthcare experience, and meets all the prereqs. If the applicant gets accepted then the school after a year in the program will give the applicant the BS degree while the student continues with the Masters. I am not sure what the stats are of programs that actually accept students without the degree vs. those that have it when applying.

Thanks for the reply. I do have over 16000 hours of HCE that range from a CNA to a Paramedic. But I am the major income in the house and am trying to determine if I should apply to these after I get the pre-reqs finished or continue on to get a BS/BA then be able to apply to more schools. I may end up having to wait until my wife is done with school first though. But anyway thanks again for the reply.

One thing to remember is that there is no guarantee you will get into those programs. It's not a bad idea to plan on getting a Bachelor's that will at least allow you further opportunity in life should you be left stranded. That being said, what's the harm in applying to those programs once you complete the pre-reqs, and then just keep going until you hear from them? If you swing it right, it would only be a loss of a semester or two, so not that much of a biggie.

• Administrator

Pacific University used to have a bachelor's completion option that would award a BS after didactic, and an MS after clinical year. It's now been discontinued. I'm not sure whether or for how long those other programs will continue--I have no insight into *why* Pacific's was discontinued, but if it's not unique to the area, then it might affect these schools as well.

The UW/MEDEX program would be an excellent program for me if it was in texas. I live here and have a family here, so I really want to get into a program that's close to me and UTSASC and Utmb are the closest programs. I really wish I had figured out that PA was the direction I wanted to go before I bought a House. It would've made finding a school that fits me a lot easier. But thanks for the info.

Archived