Pre-req question

So, I decided to start taking pre-req classes this Spring to see how I feel about going back to grad school. A quick background on me: I graduated with a BS in Psychology in 2000 with a 2.1 GPA. Terrible, I know! I went back to school 2 years later for Radiologic Technology and graduated that program with a 4.0. I've worked as a CT Tech for 10 years in trauma hospitals and have awesome medical experience and knowledge. 

So now, here I am trying to figure out what I need to do to start this ball rolling. I know all the classes I need for pre req's, A&P, micro, chemistry, all of that. My question is where do I start? Do I need to go back and retake basic bio classes that I took over 15 years ago  and such before moving into the other science classes that are required for pre req's?

I hope this makes sense!

For what it's worth, I never took any general biology, but had no problems getting A's in any bio courses (A&P 1/2, micro, and genetics). I did have to get departmental permission to take genetics, but it wasn't a big deal. That said, some programs require general bio...in that case, yours may be too old. Totally program-dependent.

Depends on the school.  If it is just the pre-reqs for the PA program, they don't care about non-prereqs in my experience.  Some schools that I wanted to apply to had more lengthy pre-reqs and required that basic bio and chem be completed within the last 5-10 years - so that could trip you up.

As far as the school from which you will be taking the pre-reqs - only they can tell you if you'l need to basic bio/chem etc.  If you have previously taken them, then you might not have to.  If the school requires they be more recent, you may have to start there.  If you have never taken the classes that are required to take A&P like a traditional B.S. student (usu bio 101 or something is a pre-emptive course) then a school may require you to take it.  

I took pre-reqs as a non degree seeking student and I can't remember if I needed to send transcripts to prove I had taken the appropriate classes before they would let me enroll.  I could see it going either way.

As others said, it's dependent on the schools.  Look at what PA programs interest you, then find out what the prerequisites are.  Then find out where to take those, such as a local community college.  Those will dictate whether you need to retake course.  For example, at the community colleges I go to, I need Biology 1 to get into microbiology, anatomy, and physiology, but I don't think there's a time frame.  If it's a required course for the PA program, it may have requirements as to when it was completed.

Archived