Would you still go interview after you're accepted?

Okay, hypothetical situation here...

Let's say you are accepted into a good program in a state far, far away. You are very excited to get in and all is well. But then, another school from that state invites you to interview. This means missing more classes and spending another half a grand. On one hand, you don't like missing classes and you'd have to charge the whole trip. On the other hand, you are worried that you could be passing up a better fit. Then again, they may not even accept you...

What would YOU do?

I would be happy to go to both schools. There is only so much research I can do from halfway across the country. From what I can tell, both are good programs, the one I could fly to being more established as a large OD school, but I also got a good impression from the other school. If I weren't in school I would go to both for sure but one thing I am stressed about (in addition to money) is missing classes, and if I end up not going to the school or getting in, it would have all been a lot of time and money expended.

Hm, it's a good but tough spot. I know what you mean - you can only do so much research. Were you able to see at least two different PA schools during your interview process - or did you get in and interview at one? I am just wondering if you were able to see some differences in two programs and how good your liking of the one you were accepted into is backed by comparison to another (if this makes sense). I understand about missing classes, but in many instances this can be made up - this is your next step and I would take the opportunity to see if this would be something you might like over the other. But in the end a PA-C is a PA-C. I'm sorry I'm not more knowledgeable, I'm interviewing now, and it certainly a stressful process. Congrats on making it in somewhere and In the end, you'll end up where you're supposed to be! :)

If you weren't sold on the first school you interviewed at/got accepted to then I would go to the next interview. I interviewed at one program and was accepted, and I liked the school so much I withdrew all my other apps. If you think there is a better match out there for you, keep looking/interviewing.

• Administrator

I advocate taking every interview offered, and doing your best at it. Considering the overall cost of going to a bad fit school, the cost of an interview trip is pretty mild. However, if you're already living off credit cards for essential things like interview trips, you're in sub-optimum financial shape anyways...

• Administrator
Second, unless the first school is your #1 choice (or you know you'll be clam happy there), I'd go to the interview. It might be a better fir or a waste of resources; either way, you'd know.

I disagree with this. After 5 interviews, my top five, in order, were, 2, 5, 1, 3, 4 going in to the season. That is, I was radically impressed by two schools at interviews in ways that couldn't be articulated in the web research I'd done. No matter how much due diligence you've done, there's no substitute for actually seeing a place and talking to the faculty and students.

Already having an acceptance letter will allow you to be SO MUCH MORE relaxed at any other interview, which in turn will show as confidence, which could be a very positive thing for you.

Flip a coin to decide. Heads you interview, tails you don't. But the trick is realizing it's not what actually turns up on the coin toss, but rather it is your reaction to what turns up. If you're bummed that you didn't get heads, then just go do it. If you are relieved you got tails, then stay home and study for your current classes, spend money on a nice "congrats to me" meal for your acceptance, and be 400 bucks less in debt.

I disagree with this. After 5 interviews, my top five, in order, were, 2, 5, 1, 3, 4 going in to the season. That is, I was radically impressed by two schools at interviews in ways that couldn't be articulated in the web research I'd done. No matter how much due diligence you've done, there's no substitute for actually seeing a place and talking to the faculty and students.

I don't disagree. I highly advocate going to a place and "getting a feel" for it in person. Buuuut, if my #1 school called me tomorrow and said, "Accepted!" I would cancel the remaining interviews. That's because I know what I want and have been there several times before. However, if my #1 on paper were 3000 miles away in a place I'd never been to, well then, definitely I'd need to go. I went to an interview earlier this year with low expectations and ended up really liking the faculty and students I met. So, really, we're on the same side on this issue. :)

Already having an acceptance letter will allow you to be SO MUCH MORE relaxed at any other interview, which in turn will show as confidence, which could be a very positive thing for you.

Flip a coin to decide. Heads you interview, tails you don't. But the trick is realizing it's not what actually turns up on the coin toss, but rather it is your reaction to what turns up. If you're bummed that you didn't get heads, then just go do it. If you are relieved you got tails, then stay home and study for your current classes, spend money on a nice "congrats to me" meal for your acceptance, and be 400 bucks less in debt.

Hahahahaha! I give people that advice and they think I'm nuts. But it works every time. ;p

Archived