Should I apply?

Hi guys,

The application deadline is fast approaching and I am considering applying for it. Here are my stats:

All prereqs: 4.0 GPA (with chem in progress)

BA in English: 3.45 GPA

1 year volunteering (200hrs) as a CCE at Hoag

EMT-B certified (looking for work now!)

I have not shadowed a PA before (eek!!!) and am trying to find somebody (I live in Riverside right now - if you know anybody to shadow nearby? ;)

My main problem, I think, is finding LORs. I've got an MD who offered to write one. I could also get my former boss to write one, but she is not working in the medical field - she's a branch library manager. Other than that, I could probably get my physiology professor to write me one. Are those even remotely strong letters? Should I try and find a PA to write one ASAP? (and how would I even do that?!?!).

Do you think I should even apply? I'm freaking out, here! :)

I also have no paid health care experience, but I am working of finding a job now that I am EMT-B certified. Let me know if you need more info, too.

Thanks for any input!!!!

I don't have paid experience and received an interview last year. All of my experience is from CCE as a volunteer. I am trying to get into the programat hoag. Do u by any chance know what they look for cause i didn't get in the first time? If I were u I would still apply but that is just my opinion. Your stats look really good.

Hey gctouro - I think what they were really looking for was friendly people-persons who demonstrate a caring nature. More like, "I'm looking to help people" not "I'm looking to get some volunteer hours." I had a lot of years working in customer service so I pushed that too. When you get to the group interview (if they are still doing that) try not to be shy and speak up. Think of it as a job interview. Hope that helps

Luckyslushy...I would say that you should find that job and work as an EMT for a year to gain experience to be a more competitive candidate next cycle, unless you are able to put out the money to apply and not worried if you don't "make it" this year? I think that the letters of rec. are more "worth" the ink when they are someone who knows you well and will submit a sincere letter rather than a "cookie cutter/one size fits all" type of letter. I think that the MD is good, your physiology prof. if you made an impression on them is also good. I know that for supervisors it is also good because they know you in a capacity that can attest to your hard work and how you conduct yourself professionally! HOWEVER, some programs will specify if you absolutely need a PA letter of rec....so check that out!

I think your stats are good though, so if you want to take a shot at it...then get it crackin' as the process takes awhile once you submit, get letters in and transcripts!

Best wishes to you!

Thanks, All4me! I really appreciate the thought. I think if I waited a year and worked as an EMT during that time, I would definitely be a stronger applicant. BUT - I've also been working towards this for so long and I really want to apply. It's expensive, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I would regret not even trying. I don't believe that the program requires a PA letter, but the good news is that I am shadowing a PA this Wednesday, and I've got a few more prospects lined up. Right now I just need 1 more letter of rec. I really want it to be from a PA instead of an MD.

If I don't get in, it's not the end of the world. I'll just work on being a stronger applicant for the following cycle. :)

Thanks, All4me! I really appreciate the thought. I think if I waited a year and worked as an EMT during that time, I would definitely be a stronger applicant. BUT - I've also been working towards this for so long and I really want to apply. It's expensive, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I would regret not even trying. I don't believe that the program requires a PA letter, but the good news is that I am shadowing a PA this Wednesday, and I've got a few more prospects lined up. Right now I just need 1 more letter of rec. I really want it to be from a PA instead of an MD.

If I don't get in, it's not the end of the world. I'll just work on being a stronger applicant for the following cycle. :)

hi, where are you shadowing the PA at? thank you

David: I just shadowed an ER at Arrowhead Regional in Colton. It was a wonderful experience and the PA was extremely nice and helpful! PM me if you want more info. I actually got this opportunity from the forum. Let me know if you're interested and I can forward you the contact's email address.

Shaifa: I don't quite understand the question you are asking. Are you asking if it's better to have an MD or PA give a letter of rec? I feel like both would be good, but a PA would be better because, well, that's the field you are trying to get into; not MD. However, from the advice I've gotten, it's good to get a LOR from somebody who really knows you well and will give you an outstanding letter (and not just a form letter). Even better if it's from a PA. Hope that answers your question...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would definitely apply.

You should make shadowing a PA your #1 priority right now. You need to be able to show them that you know what a PA is, what they do, and that you want to do that as well. Your grades are very impressive, but you lack experience.

I think with those stats you would get an interview and even if you didn't get in your first time and ended up having to use that extra year to get more experience, you would still have gone through the interview process which would make you that much more prepared for the following year.

Good luck

Archived