Input or/and guidance please !!!!!!

My main motivation to become a PA is to do derm. That is my only interest. That is the only thing that is driving me to complete my prereqs and apply. Is this rational? With the almost endless options one has as a PA, does this make sense? The money is a nice incentive for people to work in derm but honestly I would be fine getting a standard PA salary with no bonus or percentage of clients seen just so I could work in this field.

Also I was wondering if minorities (particular AA's) are a rare site in derm offices. I ask this because when I mentioned to a close friend who happens to be an MD that I was interested in derm, she that being a person of color would make it even harder to get in even as a PA. How true is this? I refuse to let what what she said to me deter me from my goal. But it sure would be disappointing if I took this journey only to be turned away. Can someone please put their two cents on this??? PLEEEEAAAAAASSSSEEEE

A lot of it depends on where you want to practice. Some areas of the country are more derm PA-friendly. I wouldn't think that being a minority would be a deterrent for a job. AA derm PAs are few but definitely not unheard of. I have met several at the SDPA meetings. If it is your dream, go for it! Getting into PA school may be more challenging though if you express your desire to only do derm. Most programs want to train generalists so that might not work in your favor.

...my quick 2 cents.

April

Go to med school and become dermatologist if that is the only thing you want to do.

very un educated silly reply

no it is not crazy to have a firm idea of the field you want to go into..... lots of us did on entry to school, but through exposure you might just change your mind....

med school is great if you are 20's and no real life committments, but PA school is a lot quicker....

I had one friend that only wanted to do Radiology and another that only wanted to do eyes and they are both still in that speciality 10 years latter.

I say keep your sites on being a derm PA but don't just blow off other specialties while doing rotations. You never know where you will end up. I started out full bore on ortho but ended up loving the ED. If you do graduated and still want to be a derm PA just remember there are jobs out there but doesn't mean you will get them right away. Don't pull the race card if this happens. Every new grad goes through this especially with harder specialties to break into like derm. I say let the people that are determined who keep applying get the job. Some people that want to find an excuse will always find one.

with the devaluation of the dollar...my 2cents is now worth 15 mills. (10 mills = 1cent. very old monetary use..but me too)

anyway, I agree: do not push for the Derm in your applications or interviews. i think being aa is an advantage in applications, programs are under scrutiny (sp?) for equal opportunity. I see lots of ' PAs wanted in derm, will train new grad.' and fyi, i'd lose the 'real name' and grab another. school personnel read these posts or so I've heard.

I started PA school with Derm in mind as well. I kept my mind open to all specialties though, because I learned that it is a very hard field to get into as a new grad. So my line of thinking, was to get an internal med job, work for 2 years, and then get into derm. Fortunately, right as I was interviewing for Internal Med jobs at various hospitals, I came across a derm job posting that were looking for new grads...so I got the desired job right away and I start next Tuesday. I also saw tons of derm on my rotations, especially in geriatrics, internal medicine, and most definitely pediatrics. Good luck and I hope you go for your dream.

After being involved in other endeavors of medicine, you could change your mind. As far as the people of color thing being a disadvantage, I don't think so. During my didactic portion, when around admittance staff and such, we were told to encourage anyone that was friends or former medical co-workers of color, black, red, Hispanic, anyone other than WASP males to apply. At that time, they were given preference, especially over white males.

Archived