PA Hopeful with LOW GPA...any sincere advice? PLEASE

I'm in my junior year now, a biology major with an overall 2.7 average and the same for science average. I just began working as a home health aide, i have not volunteered at all because of working and conflicting school schedule and i have not done any shadowing. At this point i know i do not stand a chance and i'm very intimidated by seeing other stats. Also, since i don't graduate till the end of nxt yr, i cant apply to PA programs that require GRE scores.

1. Is it advisable to apply to a program that does not require GRE scores?

2. Is working as a home health aide good enough...its just as nurse's aide but only in the patient's home.

3. Is it better in general to retake any science requirement that i had a C in and just graduate and tke the GRE?

Also, how many hours of direct patient care is considered strong?

All in all...i plan to apply to the Sophie Davis PA program CUNY this year which is also in the school i attend currently, since they do not require the GRE. I believe they look at academics and patient care experience. The deadline to apply is in March, in which i would have about more hours of experience by then. However, my gpa is my greatest concern.

Or should i just try my best and graduate, do good on the GRE and have even more patient experience?

1. In my opinion schools that require the GRE and schools that do not teach the same curriculum since they are certified to be a PA school in the first place. The GRE is just the PA version of the MCAT to weed applicants out and make sure applicants have what it takes; so no, in my opinion it is not advisable and does not really matter although most schools require the GRE so you will be limiting yourself to where you can apply without have taken the GRE.

2. They want direct patient experience. As long as you are interacting with and taking care of patient's you should be fine. Sounds like you are basically a non-certified CNA.

3. I have a few C's in science classes also. I would just recommend getting your bachelors, taking the GRE, applying to PA schools, while at the same time signing up to re-take your science classes. If you get into PA school great, if not then at least you have a backup plan in motion. You can always withdraw from these classes a week after they start without having to pay a fee. (at most schools)

Every school varies for what they consider is a good amount of patient care. For example, the minimum for MEDEX is 4000 I believe. 1000 is usually the minimum though. 500 hours volunteering is usually a good amount of hours for that, and if you can fit in 500 hours of community service as well; even better. So 4000 or more direct patient care hours is really good, 1000 is ok, 1000-4000 is good.

I really think you should go with your plan in the last sentence of this post though. It sounds too much like you are losing confidence in yourself. You still have a WHOLE YEAR to get your GPA up. Throw in a few online sociology or pysch classes that you know you will do well in to get your GPA up, create a study habit, a few hours a day. Get a tutor. Do whatever you gotta do to get your GPA up. No excuses. I work 30 hours following a Dr. around all day, am taking 19 credit hours of courses, am part of my schools medical club, volunteer once a week, and on top of it all take care of my house, my Mother, and my old dog in a not so great suberb of Chicago. If I still have a positive attitude and many others do on this forum you should too, and if you do not get the GPA but try your absolute hardest at least you can think back with no regrets. I can not tell you how many times I could have had a letter grade better in many classes if I had just "completed my online posting" "shown up to class on time, or in general" etc. It feels horrible.

All the best, hope I didn't sound too harsh in any parts of the post, just trying to get a point across. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. I've been doing extensive research just like you probably have but honestly it is not even worth worrying about until you are done with your bachelors, schools might be created, GPA requirements lowered as more and more health care professionals are needed. Etc. Focus on your one or two years left THEN stalk these forums. Haha.

Just wanted to vent my frustrations and any input from future PAs

I also have a low GPA, I already got my BS in biochemistry and as a result my GPA suffered tremendously. After I graduated, I RETOOK almost every Pre-Req. that was required especially by California schools, since that is where I am from.

Although, my CASPA GPA is low, science, non-science, and total. (they are slightly above 3.00). My "post-bacc" science GPA is around 3.90.

Has anyone been in the same situation, and how did you deal with this? Do schools really take this into consideration and how heavy do they look at it.

Especially California schools?

should i just try my best and graduate, do good on the GRE and have even more patient experience?

Definitely the BEST way. I am in the same boat as you. I was planning to apply this year for the programs but I realized that I am extremely limited of schools to apply for due to my lack of degree and GRE score. Then, so I decided to just finish up my classes, study for my GRE (I will be taking this fall), and finally graduate! In this case, I have more options of schools/programs (more option better possibility). Never be in a hurry. Take your time so you can get the quality that you need and be fully prepared for applying. Keep in mind that applying to schools are expensive so you might want to do more research, work harder, and gain those experience so that a top pa school wouldn't want to let you go once you apply in their program :) GOOD LUCK!

should i just try my best and graduate, do good on the GRE and have even more patient experience?

Definitely the BEST way. I am in the same boat as you. I was planning to apply this year for the programs but I realized that I am extremely limited of schools to apply for due to my lack of degree and GRE score. Then, so I decided to just finish up my classes, study for my GRE (I will be taking this fall), and finally graduate! In this case, I have more options of schools/programs (more option better possibility). Never be in a hurry. Take your time so you can get the quality that you need and be fully prepared for applying. Keep in mind that applying to schools are expensive so you might want to do more research, work harder, and gain those experience so that a top pa school wouldn't want to let you go once you apply in their program :) GOOD LUCK!

Just an FYI, if you're planning on applying this year, you may be too late for programs that require the GRE. Most of these programs suggested taking the GRE prior to the format change due to delays in processing the new GRE.

Just an FYI, if you're planning on applying this year, you may be too late for programs that require the GRE. Most of these programs suggested taking the GRE prior to the format change due to delays in processing the new GRE.

Yep. That is why I'm taking it this year so its ready for the upcoming application cycle. Plus, I would have time to retake it just in case I won't do well, which I hope I will!

In terms of taking classes to improve GPA.

I retook all my pre-reqs classes and received all A"s in them, so i have a very solid pre-req GPA for schools I intend to apply.

What other classes do you recommend that I should take at Community colleges, since they don't offer much upper division science classes.

And I already got a bachelor's in Biochemistry & Cell Biology.

Taking extension classes at a university can be quite expensive and classes are very limited, so that is an option but was wondering what else you guys have been doing in terms of classes

I'm in my junior year now, a biology major with an overall 2.7 average and the same for science average. I just began working as a home health aide, i have not volunteered at all because of working and conflicting school schedule and i have not done any shadowing. At this point i know i do not stand a chance and i'm very intimidated by seeing other stats. Also, since i don't graduate till the end of nxt yr, i cant apply to PA programs that require GRE scores.

1. Is it advisable to apply to a program that does not require GRE scores?

2. Is working as a home health aide good enough...its just as nurse's aide but only in the patient's home.

3. Is it better in general to retake any science requirement that i had a C in and just graduate and tke the GRE?

Also, how many hours of direct patient care is considered strong?

All in all...i plan to apply to the Sophie Davis PA program CUNY this year which is also in the school i attend currently, since they do not require the GRE. I believe they look at academics and patient care experience. The deadline to apply is in March, in which i would have about more hours of experience by then. However, my gpa is my greatest concern.

Or should i just try my best and graduate, do good on the GRE and have even more patient experience?

Make sure you have all your pre-reqs finished before submitting an application for sophie davis...

Sophie Davis is one of the most competitive schools in the NYC area due to cheap tuition and its location. You might also want to give them a call to make sure your health care experience counts...are you a liscensed home health aide/CNA?

I also have a low GPA, I already got my BS in biochemistry and as a result my GPA suffered tremendously. After I graduated, I RETOOK almost every Pre-Req. that was required especially by California schools, since that is where I am from.

That goes a long way with many ADCOM members, especially if you showed marked improvement in the pre reqs. Where is your BS from? Were you pre-med?

Although, my CASPA GPA is low, science, non-science, and total. (they are slightly above 3.00). My "post-bacc" science GPA is around 3.90.

Good work with the post-bacc Sci GPA! That should be something in your favor.

Do schools really take this into consideration and how heavy do they look at it. Especially California schools?

Yes schools really take this into consideration, and it may depend on a lot of issues ( including the entire application) concerning how "heavy they look at it." IMHO

In terms of taking classes to improve GPA.

I retook all my pre-reqs classes and received all A"s in them, so i have a very solid pre-req GPA for schools I intend to apply.

What other classes do you recommend that I should take at Community colleges, since they don't offer much upper division science classes.

And I already got a bachelor's in Biochemistry & Cell Biology.

Taking extension classes at a university can be quite expensive and classes are very limited, so that is an option but was wondering what else you guys have been doing in terms of classes

What is your HCE? How many hours do you have? What are some of the Community Service things you have been involved with? The programs may look at more than just GPA.

• 1 month later...

Archived