Job fell through.... Burned bridge?

Hey all -

Just want a little feedback and encouragement. Some of you may have read that I was trying to get a job as an ortho PA with a small practice - I had posted about it over in the ortho section. At any rate, I asked for a high salary, they countered with a ridiculously low offer and did not entertain any more discussion on what salary I needed in order to pay off my loans. I didn't see a need to discuss it any more with them and didn't write back.

It seems as if I may have burned a bridge here - one of the surgeons with whom I have worked for years has offered to write me a LOR for another ortho practice but, "will have to mention that a position with [his] group didn't work out." Does this sound like a burnt bridge to you all?

At any rate, I have been offered a job in rural FP with minor care making $20k more than the ortho practice offered me. I don't need the LOR so that's not a big deal, but I highly respected both of the surgeons at this particular practice and given that our community is very small I am concerned about the repercussions of failed negotiations.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

"Failed Negotiations" are just that... and I'm SURE that those docs have all turned down offers that didn't meet up with their own pre-conceived net worth.

So personally, I wouldn't sweat it.

I too live in a small town with a even smaller than usual medical community (~250 combined NP/PA/MD/DO providers TOTAL in the entire county)... and regularly see and interact with docs that I used to work with, for or was in negotiations but couldn't reach a reasonable agreement to practice with. Maturity makes it no big deal cause its only business.

Now if a Doc holds a grudge with you because you couldn't ... in good faith ... accept a offer that didn't meet your expectations/needs... then it goes without saying that you should be very glad that you didn't work with/for that person cause it would have eventually turned out unpleasent anyway.

Just spitballing...consider the source.

As you are well aware of, they talk a lot of role transition at Medex. Some of the discussion is very similar to what you are describing..returning to your roots,but in a new role. How does one make the transition from para-professional to professional?

At first blush, reading your situation, I get the impression that perhaps the ortho practice is not making the transition with you. While you are ready to enter a new role, they may be ready to hire a more trained version of the old you, not a PA-C. The salary you are asking for may be a good rate for a PA-C, the salary they want to pay for a more trained version of you is not equitable.

Growing up in a town of 500 people, and currently living in a town of 5000 people, I feel your small town dilemma. I know there is no black and white answer. From out here in the cheap seats I think you need to respect yourself and not sell yourself short. A letter from your old boss would be nice but that line they want to add does smell funny. At face value, it may be a simple explanation conveying why you are not applying to his practice. The paranoid "I see black helicopters" side of me says it may be a word of caution to the other practice. Can you apply to the other practice without the letter? If in an interview they ask "why not your old practice?" could you answer "As I transition roles I feel it's best to have a fresh start" or "we were unable to reach an agreeable salary". I may be inclined to go with the latter statement though, as I am sure the word will be spread via networking, letter or not.

Best of luck...keep us tuned in...I am soaking all this in as I am sure I'll be faced with similar situations hopefully in the near future.

Steve is right. Was this a place you had dealings with prior to becoming a PA? MEDEX does talk a lot about this. If you worked for someone before, they will either try to low ball you, or even if they pay you well, they will still see you as someone who can be relied upon to do some of those tasks you used to do before you became a provider. It's a slippery slope.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I greatly appreciate the words of wisdom and encouragement. I will most likely not ask these guys for a letter in the future and I don't think I'll need one. I did try to educate them about salaries for PAs in our area - made note of the AAPA salary survey and that what I was asking for was about the mean. This didn't phase them and they've since re-evaluated the type of professional they want to hire.

I guess that the respect I have for these providers will not be returned and I will simply have to live with that. It's a bummer, but things could be worse.

Andrew

More like an MA/Surg Tech - the situation was a little odd, but their final description of my job was more like that of an MA except they had plans to transition me to doing most of the office procedures. Their other plan was to bill for my services in the OR - this was what they really wanted because they'd been losing reimbursement opportunities by having a surg. tech as their 1st assist. All of this for a low, low price.

Archived