Job interview advice

Alright, so I got waitlisted at a program recently but have job interviews tomorrow and thursday. Do I avoid telling them that I applied to PA school at all? I feel like everyone always asks about future plans, but if I say that I got waitlisted, or even that I applied, I'm afraid they'll give it to someone else who might be there longer. Anyone have any advice? 

Self-preservation.  Don't say anything.  Depending on the job and how much training it entails, if you say you may leave in <6 months then they will probably find someone looking to stay longer.  And if you don't get in, you'll be kicking yourself for not having this job (maybe).

I was in the process of applying when I was waiting on interview calls and I basically out right lied about my future plans.  I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot if I didn't get in and would have been at the job for 1.5 yrs.  Since they didn't know anything about it, I also gave some vague answers on my way out the door.  It was unfortunate and I'm not proud of it, but companies put themselves first all the time, so I've got to look out for myself.  I still gave an appropriate amount of notice and worked hard while I was there.

I always tell interviewers that I do plan on attending graduate school. That said, I reassure them this is not until 2017.

However, if you don't want to be in that awkward situation, don't bring it up. At the end of the day, it's a dog eat dog world and they're only looking out for themselves. 

I actually left a job after 4 months for a better opportunity after saying "yes, I plan on staying here for about 1 year" during the interview. So don't feel bad, they wouldn't blink twice before replacing you.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Basically, all of you are confirming my initial thoughts. Im not going to bring it up unless directly asked. If someone asks what my future plans are I'll probably say something like " right now I'm just focused on this, I want to be good at ______, and if given the chance I think I can help you guys out." I dont want to lie to anyone, but at the same time I dont want to shoot myself in the foot. 

Archived