Oral Boards

Just out of curiosity, how many other schools have oral board examinations at the end of first year? We have to have 20 differentials for the 20 most common chief complaints in primary care, as well as having ~50 ten min presentations memorized for the 25ish most common diseases we'll see. I think it's a great and extremely valuable exercise to have right before starting rotations, it just makes the normal PA school load that much tougher when you add studying for oral boards on top of the nl 2-3 exams/week plus whatever else is due :)

Just out of curiosity, how many other schools have oral board examinations at the end of first year? We have to have 20 differentials for the 20 most common chief complaints in primary care, as well as having ~50 ten min presentations memorized for the 25ish most common diseases we'll see. I think it's a great and extremely valuable exercise to have right before starting rotations, it just makes the normal PA school load that much tougher when you add studying for oral boards on top of the nl 2-3 exams/week plus whatever else is due :)

yea here at drexel we have to oral exams in the didactic year and from what I hear a killer oral exam somewhere in the rotation year. The two oral exams that I have taken we usually have to have a list of differentials for 10ish different complaints and then know everything from clinical presentation to management and follow up for 10-12 different diseases. All of these were the week before finals and the week of practical exams! Not the most fun weeks of PA school.

yea here at drexel we have to oral exams in the didactic year and from what I hear a killer oral exam somewhere in the rotation year. The two oral exams that I have taken we usually have to have a list of differentials for 10ish different complaints and then know everything from clinical presentation to management and follow up for 10-12 different diseases. All of these were the week before finals and the week of practical exams! Not the most fun weeks of PA school.

I'm at PCOM but a few of our professors went to Drexel (Dr. Auth taught us ortho! He was great). Obviously our professors thought their oral board experiences at Drexel were such a great practice that they carried them over to PCOM ;) It's just so funny because this week we had the PACKRAT, a genetics quiz, our comprehensive practical/standardized pt, and surgery exam, with boards on Monday and two other finals the rest of the week. Theoretically I did know this stuff well at some point, but then trying to keep stuff like HIV/AIDs and asthma treatment regimens straight when we learned them way back in the fall is more of a challenge than I would like!

It is gonna make us look like rockstars though when we get pimped on rotations and it definitely helps out our patients in the long run :)

I'm at PCOM but a few of our professors went to Drexel (Dr. Auth taught us ortho! He was great). Obviously our professors thought their oral board experiences at Drexel were such a great practice that they carried them over to PCOM ;) It's just so funny because this week we had the PACKRAT, a genetics quiz, our comprehensive practical/standardized pt, and surgery exam, with boards on Monday and two other finals the rest of the week. Theoretically I did know this stuff well at some point, but then trying to keep stuff like HIV/AIDs and asthma treatment regimens straight when we learned them way back in the fall is more of a challenge than I would like!

It is gonna make us look like rockstars though when we get pimped on rotations and it definitely helps out our patients in the long run :)

Archived