Is negative test result a bad news?

Dear headache patient: when I tell you that your head ct results are normal please don't get mad at me. As much as you want to know the cause of your headache, you don't want to be told that you have a mass in your brain. I just don't understand patients getting mad when you tell them that their tests are negative. Last time I checked, that supposed to be a good news.

Dear headache patient: when I tell you that your head ct results are normal please don't get mad at me. As much as you want to know the cause of your headache, you don't want to be told that you have a mass in your brain. I just don't understand patients getting mad when you tell them that their tests are negative. Last time I checked, that supposed to be a good news.

My absolute favorite complaint: "I went to another ER, and they didn't do anything for me"- no matter what body system

Records from the other institution reveal full H&P, lab work, CT scans, ultrasounds...show no emergent complaint.

In the patient's eyes, if you can't find a cause for their complaint in the ER, no matter how acute or chronic, no matter how much money you spend on testing or use your "fancy medical learnin'", you didn't do ANYTHING.

Grinds my gears everytime

My absolute favorite complaint: "I went to another ER, and they didn't do anything for me"- no matter what body system

Records from the other institution reveal full H&P, lab work, CT scans, ultrasounds...show no emergent complaint.

In the patient's eyes, if you can't find a cause for their complaint in the ER, no matter how acute or chronic, no matter how much money you spend on testing or use your "fancy medical learnin'", you didn't do ANYTHING.

Grinds my gears everytime

This is the world I live in. That's why I HAVE to spend 30 minutes with each patient (which you can't do in FP or ER setting) teaching them what causes headaches.

This is the world I live in. That's why I HAVE to spend 30 minutes with each patient (which you can't do in FP or ER setting) teaching them what causes headaches.

Archived