Chemistry for Health Sciences

CHM 2205

Survey of Organic and Biochemistry

I have taken in a Community College in Florida the following classes:

CHM1020Chemistry for Liberal Arts

CHM1025CIntroduction to General Chemistry

CHM2045CGeneral Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis I

CHM2046CGeneral Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis II

Can I use any of these classes to substitute the CHM1033 that is not even offered in my school?

PSY1012General Psychology

Can I use this psychology to substitute the CLP 1006?

I am going to take CHM2210 Organic Chemistry I this fall, can I use it to substitute survey of organic and biochemistry?

Anyway, I will call MDC and ask these questions, but if anyone knows if I can use these courses I would really appreciate.

CHM1025 should count as 1033 it did when i transfered to UCF

CLP courses are not the same as PSY courses so thats iffy but I dont see why it shouldnt since CLP1000 is just s survey of psychology

Id like o see what they do about the CHM2205 though seeing as how its a survey of two subjects while CHM2210 isnt

MDC is not one of the programs that I plan to apply to but I am a UCF student so I can only give a best guess as to what can transfer

Try contacting teh registrars office. Normally they handle transfer of credits for the school itself and should know what the program has accepted before

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but did anyone ever find out what the equivalences for these classes are?

CLP1006 Psychology of Personal of Effectiveness

CHM 1033 Chemistry for Health Majors

SPC 1026 Fundamentals of Speech Communication

PHI 2604 Critical Thinking and Ethics

I have called and emailed MDC MANY times. The phone is pointless, every time I call I get transferred at least 10 times. Most of the people who answer are very rude. I call saying “I am looking to find out if a course will transfer there” 90% of the time they transfer me before I even finish what I am saying and I end up in an endless loop.

The voice mailbox of the people you need to talk to is always full and emailing seems to be getting me nowhere.

I received an email saying they will only tell you if your credits will transfer after you have applied and that if you apply while still enrolled at another school they will regard your transcripts as incomplete.

How can this be? If someone like my self intends to go to MDC for the PA program aren’t we trying to get the classes done so we CAN apply there?

Another issue is the fact that unless you’ve already taken a class it won’t show up on a transcript. How are we to know which classes we need to take?

Does that mean MDC wants you to take classes, apply, then find out no they don’t transfer and then just have you keep guessing at which classes will and then take them until you finally guess right?

This is ridiculous.

The other schools I have been interested in sent me back a list of specific classes that were equivalent.

All it took was 1 phone call and then I got an email with a list of classes specific to the school I was currently attending.

One thing about the other schools is they didn’t have odd, off the wall classes like “The Psychology of Personal Effectiveness” , “Chemistry for Health Sciences” or even “Critical Thinking and Ethics”

When I Google the course numbers for the MDC classes all I can find for schools that offer them are small community colleges and even then the selection of schools is very small.

So what is everyone doing for these classes?

I was already told General Psychology will not count as The Psychology of Personal Effectiveness.

And General or higher level classes won’t count for lower level classes like “Chemistry for Health Sciences” So even if you take Organic Chemistry for which MDC only requires a survey course. You still will need to find some place to take Chemistry for Health Sciences

This seems crazy to me when most colleges have Chemistry for science majors which have labs and Chemistry for non-science majors which do not have labs.

So what’s the deal?

• 2 weeks later...

Your complaints, will not get you into this program. Show up in person and find Jackie Hernandez and speak to her. Sorry but its the only thing that really gets things done.

This is a very tight knit program. Word of advice...Come to the campus and ask to sit in the back of the classes and listen to lectures. Get to meet some of our students. Its a big help trust me.

BTW good luck If your out of state student I recommend you look elsewhere. We have ZERO out of state students in our class this year... This program likes to pick students that will serve in this community, i.e Miami and the South Florida area.

MDC Doesn't sound very "tight knit"

Florida is a big state. Having to physically drive down there to get an answer to a simple question about a pre-requisite class is ridiculous.

In my mind anything that is "tight knit" also works well. For example, every other program I have contacted by phone or through email that have been very helpful and professional in their responses. MDC is the only one that has been hard to get information from. I also find it odd that you think pointing out a serious flaw in a system is complaining.

Why would you respond to a thread that is asking a specific question just to offer your theories on what you think "wont get me in" to a program? I have a perfect 4.0 GPA, tons of HCE in different areas plus plenty of shadowing time with both PA's and MD's in different fields. I'm sure I'll get in to someplace and MDC isn't the only PA program or even the best. Now, I'm not trying to be rude and if you can answer my question by all means please reply and do so. Other wise, I have about as much interest in your opinion on my chances of acceptance as MDC does in returning phone calls.

P.S.

Ever think that there are no out of state students because no one felt like going to Miami just to get answers to simple questions or perhaps people who had other choices and would be need to move anyway, decided a program where the facility was this inept at providing basic student service decided to go else where?

LOL! Right on TEXMED! Some people are just negative and have nothing else to offer! Anyways,I tried to get info from MDC last year and even went as far as emailing the program director and 1 or 2 professors!!!!!! To put it in a nutshell, I never received the apllication I asked for. Crazy, isn't it? It's all good because God had other plans for me :)

Those classes are covered if you have an AA or Bachelors degree and the higher level chem classes will be ok. I took CHM 1/2 and Organic. I am a reapplicant and therefore Ive gone through this process already. Like RRivas said. The best way to get your information is by physically going to the campus and speak with Jacqueline Hernandez. I would make a list of all the questions you have and have her answer them. Good luck with everything!!!

TEX, I'm just telling you the reality of the situation. If you got offended, which it sounds like so be it. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere I don't doubt that and I wish you the best of luck honestly. The school definitely has its flaws. The student services is the worst of them as you have pointed out. But what I am telling you is if MDC is still in any way a school you are trying to get into you must physically drive down here and meet with Mrs. Hernandez. Yes its ridiculous I know... The out of state student comment I made is not meant to be insulting, I said it because the program director will tell you he wants people who will serve this area. Not go to school and move back to their home state.

Also please don't misinterpret "Tight Knit" as being something that will get the staff of a Community College to function like an All-Star Basketball team...LOL

NOVA, and Barry are also in this area and are excellent schools and have much more money and resources available to fund their PA programs. They cost double or triple what we pay for tuition at MDC. So you kinda get a barebones type program here at MDC. Good education but the rest is lacking sometimes. (referring to the financial aid departments and advisement for PA program and other schools within the college).

And as for Fedz response, Same thing goes for you. The application package is to be picked up on campus. Yes I KNOW, its ridiculous.

Bottom Line and the God Honest truth - If you live in South Florida this is a school worth applying to because its cheap and good education. However If you happen to live outside of the South Florida area then this school should not really be in the game plan for applications.(Due to the physical legwork requirement of having to drive to the campus) NOVA and Barry are

better bets because they seem to have better communication with applicants via phone/email.

• 1 year later...

I had a telephone appointment with Ms. Hernandez today at 11 am. This was to discuss prerequisite classes that I may or may not need. Specifically, Chemistry for health sciences (I have college chemistry). It is now 1:20 pm and I still haven't gotten a call. Has anyone had a telephone appointment with Ms. Hernandez?*

General Chemistry 1045 or General Chemistry 2045 works in place of Chemistry for Health Sciences 1033. The reason why you probably won't get a response any time soon is because there trying to finish grading yesterdays admissions exams and figure out who they're letting into this years class. Its better to send Mrs. Hernandez emails jhernan7@mdc.edu. Kathy Burns is her assistant, she can also answer your questions if you email her kburns@mdc.edu... I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

OP, or does anyone know if the PSY 2012 Intro to Psychology class will count for the CLP 1006 requirement? I took PSY 2012 and got an A, I am trying to apply to the 2013 year and that might throw a significant size wrench at me... I asked Jackie Hernandez and she wasn't sure, said I needed to speak with an advisor, which I did and they said it's up to the program director... Does anyone recommend emailing the program director and asking this question? It's hard for me to take off work and school to get to the med campus for "all" questions. Thank you.

Please see below the link to the application.

http://www.mdc.edu/medical/aht/pa/pdf/APPLICATION_PACKET.pdf

You do not have to go to the school to get this. Also when you call Jackie Hernandez. Leave a message that you are an out of state student and explain clearly what you need I am sure she will answer, She is very professional at this point they are selectng the next year class. The program is very goos and not as expensive as Nova or Barry. Do not let anyone to get you discourage. Good Luck

Archived