1st year as MDC PA student

Just some pointers for those that got accepted and those who are thinking about applying...

- PA school is ALOT easier when you have a solid medical background to help understand the mountain of info you need to learn. Get a job and learn as much as you can beforehand.

- MDC is a pain to get private loans for...start looking at loan options and save your money. Financial aid department can be annoying..

- The 1st year goes by so fast, you learn ALOT but you also realize you don't know anything yet. Stay humble, stay honest.

- Physiolgy, Pathophysiology, anatomy, and pharmacology are your foundations. If you are solid in these subjects you will be ok.

- Buy a review book with practice questions for the PA boards and start doing questions early, early as in the first semester..so you get used to the format. This will be of greatest benefit to those students with poor test taking skills or test anxiety (very common).

Dear RRivas:

Thank you for publishing such usefuladvice. I was selected for 2013 class, and I am completing my application. I amliving in Manatee County, about four hours driving to Miami, and I need a placeto live. I am looking for a place to sleep, to study, and preferably near tothe Medical Campus. If you know somebody who rent or want to share a room, Iwould thank you for any help.

Attentively,

Hernando

Pick up boards and wards, buy a Kaplan review book for USMLE step 2. The difficulty level of USMLE questions ( The licensing exam for MD's) is in my opinion much more in depth and difficult than those in the Physician Assistant review books... If you take your time to study out of the USMLE review book you will have an excellent grasp of the material for your classes and then later the PANCE.

Wait for school to start, some of us may want to sell you our books if they are using the same ones. Start looking for your Stethoscope, Opth/Otoscope. You'll need it for physical dx lab.

Hernando, wait for the orientation week to meet your classmates then you can figure out living arrangements for down here. I would check the El Nuevo herald newspaper to find an apartment in Hialeah or south miami.

RRivas, just a quick question. Do the professors normally provide the powerpoint presentations before class? The reason I ask is that a friend in another PA program mentioned that her professors provide the pps before class and she was able to print them out in an outline format rather than a 65 page packet of slides. Thanks ;)

usually they dont send them out in advance..they bring a flash drive with them to class then you can have someone forward it to the rest of the class. Its kind of hard to study in advance honestly. Just try to keep up with whats going on and study for the tests as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes to Boards and Wards by Ayala. Its quite useful, dont listen to the reviews... Kaplan clinical knowledge for USMLE step 2 and Q book for step 2. Kaplan Qbook and/or review for USMLE step 1 was useful for the Physiology questions with Dr. Lotoki. (Human Physiology Phd) however I don't know If he will be teaching phys for the next class.

Yes to Boards and Wards by Ayala. Its quite useful, dont listen to the reviews... Kaplan clinical knowledge for USMLE step 2 and Q book for step 2. Kaplan Qbook and/or review for USMLE step 1 was useful for the Physiology questions with Dr. Lotoki. (Human Physiology Phd) however I don't know If he will be teaching phys for the next class.

• 3 months later...

hello everyone, i am submitting my application for the 2015 class on Thursday & I must say i am MORE than nervous, scared, anxious and just an overall MESS, I am so stressed as I want to get into the MDC program soooo badly. I have about 1000+ pt contact hours, gpa is only a 2.8 tho :/ a bachelors in Health Admin, a Health Science minor, a liscene in phlebotomy, BUT my anat 1 & II claases wont be completed BEFORE i submit my app. Due to this reason I have typed up a letter of intent to attach to my application, at this point i just dont know what else i can do to help supplemwnt my application, any advice????? :saddd:

My friend with that GPA is horrible and i mean horrible...... If you get so lucky as to make it to the test. Than you will get anihalated on the interview. Im sorry but that GPA is horrible plus you havent completed the Anatomy Class. You should work on getting that GPA up to a 3.4 or 3..5. The current class is and the previous one almost everybody had 3.4 up to 4.0...... Sorry but im just being honest. Wish you the best.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've just completed my application for the Jan. 15 deadline. I'm so nervous about applying. I have a 3.0 gpa and have been a RN in ICU for 3.5 years. I know my GPA is low, but not sure how much weight is given to health care experience. What are some positive and negative experiences with Miami Dade College? I'm going to continue to working on completing my BSN while waiting to hear from Miami. If I don't get in I will keep working on my BSN and apply again next year or wait to apply for masters programs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived