Looking for help with job hunting strategies

I'm a new grad PA who is relocating from MA to Charleston, SC. I don't have any contacts down there, so I have been looking for jobs online and networking online, with little success. I also have been browsing the web for practices in the area, and copying down their contact information. If they have a careers/jobs section, I have been following their instructions, whether it's email a CV or submit an online application. I'm wondering if I come across a practice website with no careers/jobs section, should I send them a copy of my cover letter/CV in the mail, cold call the office, or neither? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I am in the same position, looking in Austin, TX. I haven't quite gotten to this point, but unless the medical field is radically different from every other job I have hunted down, it is often very necessary to do both of those things. If you have been in a medical office you know who may be on the end of that phone call or fax machine, and your message/resume...odds are it isn't going anywhere...nothing demeaning towards office staff, but they have other things to do than help you get a job. Do everything reasonable to get in contact with the person who makes decisions. You might now have found the posting, they may not have put it up yet, or maybe they have been putting off hiring a PA, but your enthusiasm might be the push they need! Okay, that last part borders sarcasm...but what's there to lose at this point? Follow up on those resumes too with emails or phone call. Good luck on your job hunt!

Charleston is a tough market to crack. MUSC PA school floods the market, and many places pick up there PAs from rotations. Plus, it's Charleston. Try Roper. Trident (in Ladson/summerville) is laying off, so unlikely that you will get any response there. And look at several urgent cares in the Mount Pleasant area just across the cooper river

rcdavis - Thanks, that's very helpful information. I suspected the MUSC PAs were taking most of the jobs. Also, the MUSC website filters applications depending on years experience, so they don't even look at me for most jobs.

Hemegroup - Already applied for those positions, hopefully I'll hear back.

Archived