Are you applying in the 2012 Application Cycle

If so...hi!!

Post here if you have any questions or anything. There are a couple of us that are starting the program in August so we are fresh out of the application cycle and there are also a couple 1st and 2nd year students posting who could help as well. Rest assured that if we don't know the answer we can either direct you to the person that does or find out for you.

Just some notes:

1. Read up on the requirements of the program

2. Make sure you fit the mission of the program

3. Try to attend an information session. Lots of students are there to answer questions as well as faculty and staff

4. Not sure if this option is still available, but if you can, sit in on a class. I did and it was very eye opening

5. If you do not enjoy a family-like team oriented atmosphere, probably not the program for you. From day 1 I felt a real family like vibe and now that I am communicating with my future classmates, I see this is something important to the program as well.

6. If youre not sure whether or not to apply because you dont think your stats are good enough...apply. I felt the same and well.....:smile:

7. If you have a strong dedication to serving any type of underserved population this is a great program for you. Emory has an awesome Farmworker Program that you should look into.

Yeah i was going to try to come up with 10 but I decided to stop at 7 lol

I am applying this cycle and hoping to get into Emory. The PA that I currently shadow is an Emory Alum and gave me the opportunity to see the South Georgia Farm Worker Health Project today. I got to observe and meet some people from Emory program and its students. It was an amazing experience. It says so much about a school and its people to see them so dedicated to giving care to the areas undeserved migrant workers on a tomato farm in 90-100 degree weather. It made me want Emory even more than I did already.

Did you attend an open house? If so, what did you think? I want to, but none of the dates work for me.

No when I applied there were no open house sessions available so I asked if I could sit in on a class....I drove 6 hours just to so it lol

It was a great opportunity. The first year students were real welcoming and it just felt like home :-)

I am applying this cycle and hoping to get into Emory. The PA that I currently shadow is an Emory Alum and gave me the opportunity to see the South Georgia Farm Worker Health Project today. I got to observe and meet some people from Emory program and its students. It was an amazing experience. It says so much about a school and its people to see them so dedicated to giving care to the areas undeserved migrant workers on a tomato farm in 90-100 degree weather. It made me want Emory even more than I did already.

Did you attend an open house? If so, what did you think? I want to, but none of the dates work for me.

I have a few questions!

I am applying to a lot of programs in the Northeast - I actually just submitted my app to CASPA this morning!!!! I have never felt so relieved :-)

Did the programs send you an interview opportunity/rejection notice as email or a letter in the mail?

Do you only get wait listed after the interview?

Are going to info sessions worth the commute (and day off from work)?? haha

Is it common for applicants to not get in anywhere?? (im really nervous!)

I could probably go on forever..

thanks for your time out to help!

Well I was really looking for questions more specific to the Emory program but Ill try to help

I received invites via email with a follow up letter in the mail....all rejection letters came by mail

I was only waitlisted after the interview but there are some programs that waitlist you for an interview....either wa you will not be waitlisted for acceptance without interviewing unless you applied to one or two programs that do not interview at all....before you ask, I do not know the names of those programs

It can be....but I never attended an interview session because I already had the answers to all my questions from researching, talking to other students and basically being here for 3+ years prior to applying. If you have questions or concerns about the program itself its well worth the commute...I traveled 6 hours to sit in on a 3 hr class at Emory and Im glad I did. You will come to find that after visiting school it may not be as appealing of unappealing as you thought. For 3 years I had my heart set on one school and after interviewing there they didnt seem so hot.....then I visited Emory and they quickly became my top choice. I didnt choose Emory because of the name or anything, I chose Emory because I feel like I really fit there and thats important if youre going to spend 8+ hours a day for the next 24+ months somewhere. I wish I had visited all the places I applied to first because theres a few that wouldnt have applied to if I had....

Is it common? I would say so.....I applied to a program where my application was 964 out of 3000 and they only had 30 something seats. Theres simply not enough seats for everyone and you will find that when you interview that there are people who are on their 2nd or 3rd time applying...it happens. You will find that even those with a stronger application than yours will be rejected and some with a weaker application will be selected...it happens. One thing you do is to apply to as many places as you can afford to apply/travel to that you match. The best thing I can say is that if you get an interview....try your best to remain calm and on your game at the interview because for some programs, once you have an interview thats it, that will dictate whether you get in or not. I say some programs because some review the whole app again while some have already looked at your app and decided you look good on paper now you ahve to prove you just as good in person...

I have a few questions!

I am applying to a lot of programs in the Northeast - I actually just submitted my app to CASPA this morning!!!! I have never felt so relieved :-)

Did the programs send you an interview opportunity/rejection notice as email or a letter in the mail?

Do you only get wait listed after the interview?

Are going to info sessions worth the commute (and day off from work)?? haha

Is it common for applicants to not get in anywhere?? (im really nervous!)

I could probably go on forever..

thanks for your time out to help!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this! That really helps. I am applying this cycle and hoping I can get into Emory. I am not too far away from Atlanta. I've been there several times and I love Emory's campus! We'll see what happens. Good luck to everyone applying this round.

The program is amaing and they do such a great job of choosing your classmates...lots of helpful people in our class coming from all over the US with varying backgrounds--they are a fun bunch!!

If you are close by you should stop in for an information sesssion I know they have ones coming up on the 8th and 15th....youll get to meet people from Class of 2011, 2012 and 2013 and learn alot about the program as well..

Thank you for posting this! That really helps. I am applying this cycle and hoping I can get into Emory. I am not too far away from Atlanta. I've been there several times and I love Emory's campus! We'll see what happens. Good luck to everyone applying this round.

I saw that most people who get into Emory have 2000+ hrs of medical experience. Do you think I should still apply if my experience does not compare? I am also very interested in the Farm worker program, as I will be working with a migrant farm worker mobile clinic this coming year. Is this a separate program, or just an outreach initiative within the PA School?

I would still apply if I were you. The program truly looks at the individual and you never know.....they may see something in you that overshadows the lack of experience...especially if you truly fit the mission statement of the program.

I havent had a chance to participate but the Farm Worker Project I think its more of a combination of an outreach program and seperate program in that not only is it comprised of Emory PA students but also individuals from South GA follow this link for more information: http://www.emorypa.org/farmworker.htm

I saw that most people who get into Emory have 2000+ hrs of medical experience. Do you think I should still apply if my experience does not compare? I am also very interested in the Farm worker program, as I will be working with a migrant farm worker mobile clinic this coming year. Is this a separate program, or just an outreach initiative within the PA School?

Thank you!!!

I would still apply if I were you. The program truly looks at the individual and you never know.....they may see something in you that overshadows the lack of experience...especially if you truly fit the mission statement of the program.

I havent had a chance to participate but the Farm Worker Project I think its more of a combination of an outreach program and seperate program in that not only is it comprised of Emory PA students but also individuals from South GA follow this link for more information: http://www.emorypa.org/farmworker.htm

But how do I indicate that they are my early decision choice? The CASPA app was sent to all my CASPA schools, and I want to indicate that Emory is my early decision choice. Are you allowed to have more than one early decision?? A friend of mine who finished PA school a few years ago said that he made one school his early decision choice and it was done through CASPA (he thinks..but can't remember exactly) and this meant that they would fast-track the app and if he was accepted, he would automatically enter that program without considering other programs.

Am I making sense at all? Maybe I should just call them tomorrow...;)

There is an early priority deadline and it is explained on the program web site as follows: Meeting this deadline affords the candidate the opportunity to be considered for a Fall 2011 interview. All supporting materials, including supplemental application, must be received by August 1, 2011 to be considered.

This is for consideration for an early interview. As far as an early decision process (much like undergraduate schools offer for applying and then being committed to them solely once accepted), that is not something that Emory offers. Emory interviews throughout the fall and into January/February usually. Like many schools they have a rolling admissions type of process, so it is beneficial statistically to apply early. The admissions group is very thorough and every application undergoes the same review, but by hitting the August 1 deadline, it improves your chances for being considered for a fall interview.

The program is amaing and they do such a great job of choosing your classmates...lots of helpful people in our class coming from all over the US with varying backgrounds--they are a fun bunch!!

If you are close by you should stop in for an information sesssion I know they have ones coming up on the 8th and 15th....youll get to meet people from Class of 2011, 2012 and 2013 and learn alot about the program as well..

I am definitely coming to one of those information sessions. I think it would be great to meet other people already in the program. Thank you so much!

I am definitely coming to one of those information sessions. I think it would be great to meet other people already in the program. Thank you so much!

• 4 weeks later...

Quick questions about pre-reqs.....

I got an email from Emory saying that I have a "pre-requisite deficiency". I emailed back my response with course descriptions early this week and haven't heard back yet so I'm a little nervous. In my undergrad school (a credible 4-year institution), my general chemistry classes were as follows:

1st semester: Gen Chem 1, a 3 hour lecture, no lab (and this was the Gen Chem for pre-health/science majors) worth 3-hr credit

2nd semester: Gen Chem 1, 3 hour lecture, 3 hour lab, 1 hour lab-lecture worth 5-hr credit

In total, I received 8 hours of credit in gen chem. Emory is saying I am missing a lab. No other school has identified this as a problem, and I honestly assumed that everyone had gen chem arranged the same way. Did everyone else have chem lab for 2 semesters? Has anyone else gotten into Emory with just 1 gen chem lab?

I had Chem I and Chem II with labs each, for a total of 10 credits. That is probably what they are referring to... The replies are taking a little longer now since more applications are in... I've seen responses take at least a week now.

I am just applying though, no knowledge on if anyone gotten in with just one lab.

Submitting an application in early September will make it so that if you are offered an interview spot it will be a later one and because Emory works on a sort of rolling admissions process, from that perspective it could hurt your chances a little bit. However, every application that is submitted to Emory undergoes the same review from the admissions committee and whether submitted in June or September your chances of receiving an interview remain the same as they offer interviews based on the applicant's profile and not a specified # of seats for interviewing.

jmpetersen: If I had to take a guess (and this is just that) I would say they're talking about your lab. I did see that you have responded to them with the information regarding the course descriptions, which was going to be my next recommendation. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon (I know this is difficult to hear and probably feels like an eternity). I do not know of anyone personally who was accepted with only 1 chemistry lab, however, I also do not know the pre-requisite courses of everyone in my class.

Archived