Owning a Dog as a Navy PA

Can you own a dog as a PA in the Navy? I know there are restrictions on which breed you can own, but regardless does anyone own one? Pros/Cons? Deployment vs on a base in the US? I would like to be deployed with special forces in the future, a buddy of mine is deployed with SEAL Team 4. Obviously with SF, owning a dog isn't a good idea. Im just wondering if I could own one on a FOB or in general. Thanks!

I will be a single officer matriculating to school in the Fall of 2017. 4th generation officer.

I'm planning on going into the Navy and I have a dog. I've had friends and relatives offer to take care of him while I'm on deployments, if I am stationed overseas or on a ship. From what I've heard, if you are stationed in the U.S. and you have the opportunity to live off-base, the Navy has no influence over whether or not you own a dog. I do believe there are some on-base housing locations that will allow dogs, but I don't know much about that. 

I did 8 years on the enlisted side. If you live off base, do what you want. If you live in base housing as a stand-alone or duplex, you get permission from base housing for the pet (so they can ensure spay/ neuter and some bases restrict breeds).  If you live on base in singles quarters (BOQ at some bases are little more than apartments), then the answer may be no.

On deployments, training exercises, TAD, etc. you are responsible for managing your affairs.  If you are assigned to a Marine unit, and your unit does a 5 day field exercise, you do not get to leave to walk your dog.  If you are assigned to a Destroyer and go on a 30 day shake down cruise, your pet doesn't come along.  If you deploy boots on the ground for 6-12 months overseas, your pet doesn't come.  It's entirely up to you to ensure your pet is cared for, and you cannot expect in any way to get support from your command.

Traditionally, the only people who had pets were married folks, where the spouse and/ or kids can take care of the pet while mom or dad is deployed.

Many housing areas on base allow pets. Some do not. Out in town, it's exactly the same as it is for a civilian - some rentals allow dogs, others do not. As far as having one "on a FOB," h**l no. If you have a dog and you're single, you're going to need to make arrangements for someone to pet sit if/when you deploy or go to the field or whatever.

Also, just FYI, the Navy doesn't use the terms "SF" or "Special Forces." SEALS are part of the SpecWar or Special Warfare community. SF is strictly an Army term (semantics, I know).

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on the dog I might volunteer to take care of him while your deployed.  I have two dachshunds and I've cared for more than one friend's dog while they were down range.  I'm in Washington DC so I may not be an option for short missions, but if you're going away for a while I can assure you a loving home, lots of cuddles and snuggle, a big fenced yard to play in and two playmates.  :-)

Archived