Is Red Rocks worth it?

Guest daveophoff

Guest daveophoff

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but I got accepted to Red Rocks and I am having some reservations about going there. Am I going to be respected as a PA for going to a Community college instead of a real university? Is this masters degree going to allow me to get the jobs I want? I am glad I got accepted, but if anyone has any info on how RR graduates are viewed in the medical community, and how they are perceived that would be great.

Guest jpeterson

That's a tough question. Being a PA is a good choice no matter where you go, but the school does make a difference. A school with a bigger name will certainly garner more respect, especially if you went out of state. Universities like CU have more resources available to them than smaller schools. And it's true that they tend to have more learning opportunities available since bigger schools have more money.

I work in a medical office along the front range that has taken a number of PA students from CU. I am aware that our office has strong bias towards CU students over RRCC. While I'm sure that RRCC graduates are also great PAs, I know our office prefers CU students. They seem to have a bit more under their belts.

What are your options? If you're not sure about this program, it may not be unwise to wait for another school that better fits your needs. Just some thoughts.

I understand your concern, however, I do not feel that employers will look down on PA's that have gained their education at a community college. A program as specialized as this, whether it be at a university or a community college, stands on it's own feet. I feel that the RRCC program is what it's really about. If you need to have a prestigious school name behind your credentials to get hired, then by all means go elsewhere. I, on the other hand, am confident that I will gain the necessary skills to be competitive without the need to fall back on a school name.

I agree with that. I personally have seen in a variety of jobs that the person makes themselves marketable. If you are a hard worker, effecient, competent, and love your work, you will find a great job. There are plenty of sub par people who depend on a name to get them in. I am not saying you are that person, but just raising the point that I think PA school is what you make of it. Those possible "benefits" of a big school can still trickle down to us little ones who only go to a community college. We all have to learn the material and skills, no matter where you go. And personally, I feel I will be able to best learn those with Red Rocks' setup and small class size. But you have to decide how you will best conquer the volume of information you will have to digest.

Don

PS I dont know if they told your group at the interviews, but Dr. Smith, the Medical Director, was drawn to RRCC because of the example of the quality of students and PAs she was seeing in the field. Pretty good sign of respect I think.

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but I got accepted to Red Rocks and I am having some reservations about going there. Am I going to be respected as a PA for going to a Community college instead of a real university? Is this masters degree going to allow me to get the jobs I want? I am glad I got accepted, but if anyone has any info on how RR graduates are viewed in the medical community, and how they are perceived that would be great.

Dave, if you are having reservations then perhaps you should reconsider attending. You don't want to be somewhere feeling you "settled" or are not getting what you want. Furthermore, you could make space for someone who really wants to go RRCC and understands and likes what the program is about.

Most clinics and hospitals only care that you have the PA-C after your name. That is what every PA student strives to achieve anyway. As far as the masters degree goes, St. Francis is a great school - if they are good enough for Stanford PA students, they should be good enough for most. As another poster mentioned, some clinics etc. have a bias towards other programs. I don't know that their bias is based in reality or if they are simply falling prey to the herd mentality you subscribe to. But I challenge their assertion that other students have more under their belt than RRCC students (unless it is peds, then I have to say they definately do). Furthermore, RRCC PA program meets the same accreditation standards that CU, Yale or any other PA school must meet. I attend RRCC and think it is a great program. It is old school. Not a lot of bells and whistles - just a solid, intensive education that meets the same requirements that any ARCPA accredited PA must meet. But if you need that little extra something to make you feel that your education is adequate, then go after it. You probably won't be happy with RRCC in that case anyway. If you decide that RRCC is good enough for you, then I'll see on August 21.

Your future employers are simply looking for someone "teachable"... with a personality that fits the practice... and with the "C"... in PA-C gained from passing the PANCE. ;)

Until recently... MOST PA-Cs came from Cert. programs at CCs or Uni...

MOST docs don't know or care about the differences between PA programs because just like MD/DO school... the accreditation standards for ALL PA programs are equivalent/the same...:)

Get in where you fit in...;)

Get the PA-"C"

Contrarian

btw... Stanford PA grads get their credits from Foothills CC to ensure that it remains affordable.... but MOST docs don't know/care about the diifference...

A PA-C is a PA-C to MOST non-PA-Cs...

As someone that worked in that community for a number of years, Red Rocks PA students are considered extremely well prepared by the medical community. I lectured there and knew the first three program directors. The graduates have no problem getting jobs. PM me if you want more information.

David Carpenter, PA-C

• 1 month later...
Guest bsnfreeman

Just remember Dave, that this forum is probably read by current faculty, staff, and students of Red Rocks. Perhaps this is some research you should have done before you applied; when you were still "anonymous". No one likes being considered second place.

Brian Freeman PA-S

• 5 weeks later...
Guest brynkroto

Dave,

Congratulations on being accepted to Red Rocks. I think your questions are legitimate, as you are responsible for your education. I was accepted to a highly ranked school other than RR, but am so grateful that I ultimately chose RR. Previous posts itemize why RR is really no better/worse than any other school. When I was comparing programs, I spoke directly with the currents students to get the most honest answers. ALL, and I do mean ALL of those I spoke with repeated to me that PA school is what YOU make of it. All of the requirements are fulfilled, but you will be the one choosing whether or not you go out for beers, or stay home and do the extra studying because someday, someone might need your help. (You just drink those beers at home.) I went to a large university to do my undergrad, but the best education I've gotten to this day is from Pikes Peak and Red Rocks community colleges where I completed my prereqs for PA school. The difference is, I applied myself this time because I KNEW what I wanted.

I know you've chosen another school, and I'm confident you made the right decision. I just wish that you would've considered your feelings about RR sooner because there is an applicant out there that didn't get an interview because you did. (After having witnessed the entire application process and meeting many of the candidates, I now truly realize how competitive RR is and commend the incoming class!) I hope that person reapplies. As I have learned so much about not only the science of medicine but the art of medicine in just my first year at RR, I want to please and gently caution you to rethink your insecurities about titles, degrees, etc. There are MANY clinicians out there who will not ever have a phat degree or whatever because they've been practicing since BEFORE the degree or title was even conceived. If a student is disrespectful of this, we all look bad.

For myself and 28 other classmates currently struggling (and our families, friends), yes it's worth it. It's worth every bit of it.

Thank you for your honesty, and thank you for your time.

Bryn

• 2 weeks later...
Dave,

Congratulations on being accepted to Red Rocks. I think your questions are legitimate, as you are responsible for your education. I was accepted to a highly ranked school other than RR, but am so grateful that I ultimately chose RR. Previous posts itemize why RR is really no better/worse than any other school. When I was comparing programs, I spoke directly with the currents students to get the most honest answers. ALL, and I do mean ALL of those I spoke with repeated to me that PA school is what YOU make of it. All of the requirements are fulfilled, but you will be the one choosing whether or not you go out for beers, or stay home and do the extra studying because someday, someone might need your help. (You just drink those beers at home.) I went to a large university to do my undergrad, but the best education I've gotten to this day is from Pikes Peak and Red Rocks community colleges where I completed my prereqs for PA school. The difference is, I applied myself this time because I KNEW what I wanted.

I know you've chosen another school, and I'm confident you made the right decision. I just wish that you would've considered your feelings about RR sooner because there is an applicant out there that didn't get an interview because you did. (After having witnessed the entire application process and meeting many of the candidates, I now truly realize how competitive RR is and commend the incoming class!) I hope that person reapplies. As I have learned so much about not only the science of medicine but the art of medicine in just my first year at RR, I want to please and gently caution you to rethink your insecurities about titles, degrees, etc. There are MANY clinicians out there who will not ever have a phat degree or whatever because they've been practicing since BEFORE the degree or title was even conceived. If a student is disrespectful of this, we all look bad.

For myself and 28 other classmates currently struggling (and our families, friends), yes it's worth it. It's worth every bit of it.

Thank you for your honesty, and thank you for your time.

Bryn

I am applying to RR this time around and would be proud to have the opportunity to attend. I would still do the Masters setup at the same time because I am interested in possibly teaching in a program at some point. PA-C is where it's at and that's what I am after.

...I also like the requirement on HCE. They are looking for health care career competent persons who will make excellent PA's!

• 1 month later...
Guest Temmer

Hello Board,

I am hoping to get your opinion on something. I live in Colorado and I am planning to apply to the PA program at Red Rocks Community College. My concern is that regardless of the good reputation of this program, it is a community college, and I am concerned that this will impede my job search once I graduate. Also, the Master's Degree program at Red Rocks is conferred through an online degree program called St. Francis University.

Would you say that there is a difference between programs like this and "regular" university programs in the eyes of employers? I have heard that there is no difference here in Colorado, but I am planning to move to Florida at some point. Thank you in advance!

-----After reading the thread I feel much better about this, however what about getting jobs outside of Colorado?

• 3 weeks later...

As has been relayed in numerous posts, the one thing that will get you a job is PA-C after your name, not where you went to school. Most employers don't care where you got your degree, they only care that you can do the work and can get along with others. While our program is part of a community college, the only true relationship we have the school is that of physcial loaction and facilities. There is 0% overlap in instructors, classes or students. It is however very casual and laid back and we have great relationships between our program and other parts of the school.

As far as the Master's thing goes, many others are offered via distance learning, not just the one through St. Francis, and all are well respected. BTW, as I've said before, Stanford PA students get thier Masters through St. Francis as well so it can't be that bad.

Many people have the need to have some perception of prestige behind their education. If that's the case they should go get it. I cared more about getting a good education close to home. Coulda gone to 'big name schools' but I have been around long enough to know it really doesnt matter. The fact that tuition is $30k doesn't hurt one bit either.

Frankly, if you have a serious concern about the validity and value of a PA education at a CC, you probably should consider going elsewhere - where you are getting what you want and feel is important in an education.

Hello Board,

I am hoping to get your opinion on something. I live in Colorado and I am planning to apply to the PA program at Red Rocks Community College. My concern is that regardless of the good reputation of this program, it is a community college, and I am concerned that this will impede my job search once I graduate. Also, the Master's Degree program at Red Rocks is conferred through an online degree program called St. Francis University.

Would you say that there is a difference between programs like this and "regular" university programs in the eyes of employers? I have heard that there is no difference here in Colorado, but I am planning to move to Florida at some point. Thank you in advance!

-----After reading the thread I feel much better about this, however what about getting jobs outside of Colorado?

While I thought everything in this thread is spot on I think this is the take home message...

Frankly, if you have a serious concern about the validity and value of a PA education at a CC, you probably should consider going elsewhere - where you are getting what you want and feel is important in an education.

Well said.

LesH

Guest Temmer
As has been relayed in numerous posts, the one thing that will get you a job is PA-C after your name, not where you went to school. Most employers don't care where you got your degree, they only care that you can do the work and can get along with others. While our program is part of a community college, the only true relationship we have the school is that of physcial loaction and facilities. There is 0% overlap in instructors, classes or students. It is however very casual and laid back and we have great relationships between our program and other parts of the school.

As far as the Master's thing goes, many others are offered via distance learning, not just the one through St. Francis, and all are well respected. BTW, as I've said before, Stanford PA students get thier Masters through St. Francis as well so it can't be that bad.

Many people have the need to have some perception of prestige behind their education. If that's the case they should go get it. I cared more about getting a good education close to home. Coulda gone to 'big name schools' but I have been around long enough to know it really doesnt matter. The fact that tuition is $30k doesn't hurt one bit either.

Patrick,

Thank you for the candid replies. Personally, I have no questions as to the quality of the RRCC program, and it has always been very appealing to me because of its rural focus and reputation.

My post stemmed from a conversation I had with a friend, who has an MBA from DU, which (according to him) carries a lot more weight in the Colorado area than it would, say, on the East Coast. Given the possibility that I may move out of state at some point in the future, he suggested I make sure that my degree would "travel" just in case I do move. I have the utmost respect for the program and what it teaches, and I look forward to attending. Again, thank you to everyone for your replies.

Patrick,

Thank you for the candid replies. Personally, I have no questions as to the quality of the RRCC program, and it has always been very appealing to me because of its rural focus and reputation.

My post stemmed from a conversation I had with a friend, who has an MBA from DU, which (according to him) carries a lot more weight in the Colorado area than it would, say, on the East Coast. Given the possibility that I may move out of state at some point in the future, he suggested I make sure that my degree would "travel" just in case I do move. I have the utmost respect for the program and what it teaches, and I look forward to attending. Again, thank you to everyone for your replies.

My pleasure. It is hard to say which school carry the most prestige when you travel away from its primary circle of influence. I am sure a degree from RRCC will not necessarily impress anyone anywhere. Probably the best method is to figure out whee you want to live and then try fro the the school that has the cache in that area. Everywhere I have worked however, hasn't really cared where I went to school. They cared that I knew what I was doing, was teachable and could get along with others. I can't stress that enough. These were fortune 500 companies and the top respiratory hospital in the country. I have a degree from the Univ. of Colo and Chapman University - neither big names by any measure. My advice (completely unsolicited I realize) is not to worry about whether your degree/school cache will "travel" well. Rather you might benefit more from attending a program that is the best fit for you and Vice versa. Unless you go Ivy League (less so now - I have worked w/ Ivy Leaguers so in that way CU is equivalent to Harvard) no one really cares where you went to school unless they went there too. Good luck and best wishes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just pass PANCE. PA-C is what you are going for and whichever school gets you there the best way for you is gold. At RRCC, they are getting you thinking about the big picture from day 1. And prob why they have a couple years of 100% pass rate and higher than average rates. They truly want you to succeed and you feel their concern and positive pressure to get you to become a competent PA. I love it there!

• 2 years later...
I have heard that there is no difference here in Colorado, but I am planning to move to Florida at some point. Thank you in advance!

RRCC is well known and respected. I applied there years ago but was not offered an interview. I would have attended there with great pride. also, Florida is notorious for having a difficult license application process. don't think they care WHERE you attended. just did you pass the PANCE/PANRE?? check out FAPA site to get a head start on FLA.

good luck:smile:

• 1 year later...

I am planning to apply to red rocks for the 2015 cycle. I too was concerned about the "CC" part but have heard great things about the program and its graduates. Not to mention that advising staff have been very helpful helping me choose the correct prereqs, even though faculty cant/wont review individual syllabi.

Archived