Should I include an experience in my PS if has to do with an ARNP

I once shadowed a nurse practitioner and I was really impressed by her sensitivity and compassion with a specific patient and wanted to write include it in my personal statement but do you think I shouldn't mention it since it has to do with a nurse practitioner or how can I include it because it was definitely a big moment that has helped me continue pursuing a career in the health care field? Thank you!!

• Administrator

If you parrot ridiculous tripe because that's what an Adcom wants to hear, you might be right, and you might fool them into letting you into a program that's a bad fit for you because you weren't true to yourself in your application.

And, on a practical level, NPs are fine to work with as any other co-worker. I've precepted 2 NP students so far, and don't get my first PA student until January, but I don't see any huge difference.  The NP student I'm working with right now is quite conscientious and thorough, and I wouldn't let any political BS get in the way of praising an NP in your PS if s/he is indeed praiseworthy.

If this was an important moment in your development and drive to go into healthcare then of course you should bring it up. My personal statement included a story that really affected me when I dealt with a child that had just lost her father. It didn't mean that I wanted to go into social work. You know what I mean? You know why PA is right for you, and you also know why the care and compassion shown by an NP that you shadowed confirmed that in your mind. Just let that show.

Archived