Do I have a chance?

Hello,

I am currently in the middle of taking my prerequisites for PA school, and am looking for some advice. I am 26 years old, and should be done with my prereqs by December of this year with an anticipated 3.7-3.8 science GPA post-bac. I graduated with a B.S. in science education with a 3.12 GPA (my first year was not so hot), and am currently am taking an EMT-B course, and will be certified by the end of this summer. The question is: will I have a competitive package applying for the October 1st deadline for this year with my limited HCE? I have also had community experience with working as a Ed-tech and volunteering hours for tutoring and with the local habitat for humanity.The last year has been completely devoted to putting myself in a position for a chance of getting into PA school, and am jumping at the chance to apply to schools with my pre-reqs/HCE in progress. Does anyone know of the schools that require minimal HCE? Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Yes, you have a chance of getting in. Maybe it's a small chance, but you'd probably agree that it is worth taking a seat if you get it. No one can tell you for certain, so the only way you will know is if you spend the time and money to apply in order to find out. Focus on schools you have the best shot of getting into: pick schools that do not require HCE (skip MEDEX, Pacific, Duke, etc) and focus on places that don't have high incoming class GPAs (skip schools that a ranked highly (and hence more people apply) but don't have HCE requirements, like UTSW). Do your homework by searching each school's website and this forum. Read the CASPA website to ensure you will meet the CASPA deadline, in addition to school deadlines.

You would obviously have a better chance at getting in if you apply next year - the earlier the better.

I say you definitely have a shot at some of the schools that don't have high HCE hours required --

Go for it. Worst case scenario: you get experience at using CASPA and interviewing and that will all strengthen you for next year.

A few schools that don't require HCE at all, according to PAEA directory:

CA - Western U of Health Sciences

CO - Univ of CO Anschutz

ID - Idaho State

IN - Butler U

PA - Gannon U

PA - St Francis U

TX - Interservice PA Program

TX - UTX Medical Branch

TX - Baylor Coll of Med

WV - Alderson-Broaddus College

PA - Chatham U

PA - King's College

TN - Lincoln Memorial U

• 6 months later...

Had the same question except mine is worse. Medical Technologist degree. 27yrs and 2.7gpa. (Was sick a lot and had financial issues, although my overall science GPA is about 3.0) In the US 4yrs and little to no patient care experience. For international applicants like me we have to take the TOEFL(110). I also took the GRE(1080) like everybody else. Probably have to take those again since they're all expired now. What can i do to be able to stand a chance. I already applied last year and nothing at all. I just figure i should give it a chance. What are my options, or should I abandon this quest because of my gpa?

Archived