Clinicals - What Not to Do?

Let me preface, I am NOT a PA-S  - yet (I always like to say that - LOL 0WRDDos.gif ) and was hoping to get some advice. I would like to know what to do/what not to do in terms of being helpful, and not be an annoyance to my cohorts. The reason I am asking is because I just got accepted into a CNA program. 

To the Professionals PAs that have worked with students, what did you appreciate them for? What annoyed you, or made you happy they were around or was there anything that made you resent them? 

I do plan to network once I get acclimated (with PAs and everyone else during clinicals). I do plan to continue to learn and move to bigger and better things all while finishing my prerequisites. I want to make this an enjoyable learning experience for myself and everyone else around me.

Once I finish the program, which one is better working for; a hospital/clinic or a nursing home facility? Is the pay drastically different? Do you get benefits? (Trust me I know I will not be rich, but I don't want to starve either.) Do you do less scut work in one as opposed to the other? 

I do plan to network once I get acclimated (with PAs and everyone else during clinicals). I do plan to continue to learn and move to bigger and better things all while finishing my prerequisites. I want to make this an enjoyable learning experience for myself and everyone else around me.

Thanks for your help! 

Hospital. No nursing home.

May I ask why? (I have a feeling I know what you are going to say, but I rather hear it from you personally)

Accepted to a CNA program? Is that not like a 4 week thing that accepts anyone that applies? Either way, as someone who worked as an EKG tech, you're not going to be above the poverty line working as a CNA. Use it to further your knowledge and gain contacts/shadowing opportunities.

As I mentioned already, as soon as I get in the facility (home health, hospital or wherever) and get acclimated with my staff and the patients I plan to network like crazy. My intent is to gain more knowledge than just reading in textbooks - and get first hand knowledge of everything and everyone if they will allow it. 

In my area you can't get into a hospital until you have @ a year (at least) in a nursing home. In a hospital, you may be assigned to the same number of patients, but you'll have more nurses to help out. As to why you wouldn't want to work in a home--have you ever visited one? (PM me if you want more details on the good, the bad and the ugly.)

When you do start working, remember: the patient ALWAYS comes first, networking should only happen while actively working to serve them, or in your almost non-existent downtime.

I agree with PAGuy55 with the suggestion of Hospital > Nursing Home.

I work as a NA and I do fun things like EKGs, telemetry, glucometry, vitals, point of care testing, specimen collection/labeling, and documentation...I do not mind doing scut work because that's when I really bond with patients to make them less anxious.

You barely get to do anything in a nursing home. I never took a CNA course so I have no suggestions on that other than, enjoy the experience, and pass the class/licensure exam. PAs are nonexistent on the floor where I work but plentiful in the ED.

What I observed and learned working as a NA is to always be available to the RNs. Always offer your assistance. I love to be hands on and during my shift I inform all nurses on the floor to get me (if I'm not busy) when they need EKGs/Telemetry/Vitals done even if I do not have their patients.

I love the experience so far...but ready to move on to better things like giving injections, phlebotomy, splinting, nebulizers...etc

NOT A PA-S (yet)

I agree with PAGuy55 with the suggestion of Hospital > Nursing Home.

I work as a NA and I do fun things like EKGs, telemetry, glucometry, vitals, point of care testing, specimen collection/labeling, and documentation...I do not mind doing scut work because that's when I really bond with patients to make them less anxious.

You barely get to do anything in a nursing home. I never took a CNA course so I have no suggestions on that other than, enjoy the experience, and pass the class/licensure exam. PAs are nonexistent on the floor where I work but plentiful in the ED.

What I observed and learned working as a NA is to always be available to the RNs. Always offer your assistance. I love to be hands on and during my shift I inform all nurses on the floor to get me (if I'm not busy) when they need EKGs/Telemetry/Vitals done even if I do not have their patients.

I love the experience so far...but ready to move on to better things like giving injections, phlebotomy, splinting, nebulizers...etc

NOT A PA-S (yet)

umbPA: I am curious, how long have you been a NA? Where do you plan to get your other experience (phlebotomy etc)? 

CNA experience is very limited. It does one thing and that is allows you become more comfortable in a hospital setting and with patients in general. I ask when am I am working if the nurses can read the EKGs for me, show me the rhythms, etc. The job itself can be demanding both physically and emotionally. Nursing home is limited in scope. Most is just ADLs. Hospital you can do more. On my unit we do vitals, EKGs, bladder scans, hard sticks, etc.

Hospitals are better than nursing homes but you'll have a hard time getting a job at one without experience. After I took my CNA class, I was applying only at hospitals but didn't get any interviews. I gave up and applied to one nursing home and was hired the next day.

Where are you doing your cinicals during the CNA class? We did ours at a nursing home. The one I work at now is difficult work. I have 12-14 patients at a time all for myself and there's almost never a free moment. There are no PAs there and the nurses are all so busy giving out medications so networking is limited for me, I mostly just chat with the other CNAs during my lunch break.

And yes, the pay at a hospital is much better than at a nursing home but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get experience and get your foot in the door.

Hospitals are better than nursing homes but you'll have a hard time getting a job at one without experience. After I took my CNA class, I was applying only at hospitals but didn't get any interviews. I gave up and applied to one nursing home and was hired the next day.

Where are you doing your cinicals during the CNA class? We did ours at a nursing home. The one I work at now is difficult work. I have 12-14 patients at a time all for myself and there's almost never a free moment. There are no PAs there and the nurses are all so busy giving out medications so networking is limited for me, I mostly just chat with the other CNAs during my lunch break.

And yes, the pay at a hospital is much better than at a nursing home but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get experience and get your foot in the door.

I have read that hospitals are better in terms of experience for CNAs. I already have been networking (putting feelers out there) and talking to recruiters about my upcoming situation - becoming a CNA. I hope this works to my advantage because ideally I would like to work at a hospital or doctor's office.

Archived