Accepted or interviewed students: Can you respond to questions?

I'm applying for the 2012 cycle and Tech is my absolute first choice. I was hoping to get some feedback from current students, accepted students or students that have interviewed at Tech. Currently my pre req GPA is a 3.25 but I still have 4 pre reqs that I will complete this summer. I have a several questions:

1) Should I apply now, because I really want to get my app in real early. Or do I wait until I have grades at the end of the summer for my other classes. I know I am capable of A's in these classes, which would put my pre req GPA at a 3.46

2) Does Tech look at all at the overall GPA that CASPA calculates? Or do they strictly use the GPA calculation on the Merlin app? (pre req GPA)

3) I have been working as a medical assistant for about 6 years. I am also currently I'm the process off getting registered as a vascular technologist. I have a ton of health care experience and shadow time as well. Vie shadowed several different types of PA's as well as a dozen or more physicians. I volunteered in college at a womans shelter.

4) I have a BS in Biology

I'm really just trying to see what the accepted applicant looks like and how I compare. Any insight? And anything I can do to make my app more competitive?

I can help with some of your questions. Many of them are along the lines that I encountered last year.

1) This depends on how many semester hours you have in progress. You are only allowed to have 9 semester hours in progress before you application will be even forwarded to the program in Midland. Keep in mind the Tech does rolling admissions, so the earlier the better. Most schools take their time in mail transcripts after the end of the semester, or Tech will sometimes take their time in processing them. If you have more than 9 semester hours in progress, then make sure that the day your grades are posted the request to forward your transcript is in as well. I would also advise you take a look at the cross walk and make sure they all transfer to Tech they way you are thinking. Some of mine ended up transferring as a humanities rather than a social or behavior science. This hurt me and I my transcript couldn't be forwarded in time for review. I just got a conversation saying I was an impressive candidate, but they got my application to late. So time is the key. If you have any questions then talk to the TTUHSC advisers. Don't trust the regular school advisers. I fell into this trap as well last year.

2) They look mainly at what you have from Merlin. They are aware that CASPA calculates things a little differently than they do. But keep in mind that they will see that maybe you have taken a class over, and they may want to ask you why you made the grade you did. So basically they base off of Merlin in their GPA ranks, but they will also look at your transcripts and possibly have some questions about the classes you have taken.

3) No question there. =P But congrats on learning vascular. It's not and easy certification to get. I am not a fan of ultrasound myself, and like the radiation end of things. Aortic run offs and stints are just better with a little bit of contrast in the mix LOL.

4) No question there either. =P

Tech seems to run the gambit on different skill sets and people they accept. Some have had little to no experience, but lots of education. Yet others are RN's, CNA's, RT's etc.... with years of experience. Application wise I have been told they look the most at your education and experience. Then they want to know how your personality fits into that mix. Hence your PS and a possible interview come into play. I am no expert, but I would say get your app in fast and complete those classes. Time is your enemy until that application get forwarded from Lubbock to Midland. If you are not under that 9 semester hour mark Midland will never even know you exist.

I first applied with Tech last year. My GPA was a 3.4 I have over ten years of medical experience as a licensed physical therapist. I applied late November. Everything was in BEFORE the December 1st deadline. I never received an invite for an interview. I was told I never received an interview because of the following reasons: most applicants have at least a 3.6 GPA and I applied too late. I have since retaken all of my classes that I did not have an A in. I now have a 4.0 GPA and have already submitted my application. I haven't heard anything. Hope that helps.

Sorry to hear about that thompsongroup. But I don't think they will be doing anything until mid June. CASPA has decided not to mail out any apps until then. That is apparently their first big ship date. I became a little curious as to why my CASPA was verified in April, but by May 10th it still hadn't shipped. If you look in FAQ it tell you that they are not shipping any apps until then. They are suppose to be able to be looked at via the electronic portal, but I have a feeling that they like the actual paperwork to share and look at. It only makes sense if you are thinking about an interview atmosphere. I have a 3.5 total and a 3.8 science. But like you I ran into having things done on the deadline, but not before they picked their class. Basically they look to get everything done as fast as they can, so they aren't dragging the process out unnecessarily.

Neo, spoke with Tech (Midland) yesterday and was told they will not start interviewing until August/September. I too wondered why mine had not been mailed. Tech in Lubbock said they don't look at the electronic portal, they wait for the hard copy. Deliberating what to do about one class. It was an online class, but it doesn't show up on the transcript as online. How would they know the difference? I'm thinking of retaking it just to be safe. Do you have any classes that were taken online? Keep me updated if you hear anything. I'll do the same!!

Yes I have a Sociology class that was online. I talked to Amanda Hothan in admissions, and she said that it was fine. They are mainly looking for Biology, A & P classes, Micro classes that are online. I asked her the exact question that you asked me. As a matter of fact she recommended that I take that sociology class online. But that is verbatim what and how she told it to me. She is a HSC adviser, and helped me out of a transcript jam, so I feel like I can trust her. Plus she went the extra mile for me last year on some of the transcript problems that I had. It helps that the program knows exactly who she is as well. Most online classes will not show up a certain way on your transcript. But honesty is number one. It is not unheard of someone somehow figuring out that there was a lie on an app, and the student getting the boot before graduation. I highly recommend you talk to her to get it straight from someone over the phone. Sometimes information changes, and I don't want you to fall into the same issues that I did last year with one adviser saying one thing, and another adviser saying another. If at all possible get it in writing via email. That is what saved me a ton of time this year.

I didn't know about the interview time line. I appreciate you letting me know. I have some friends in the program, and some that are starting this summer. I may have to abuse them for some knowledge, but will keep you in the loop with what I hear. That is part of the reason why I started the tread before this one, especially since many of us had issues last year.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I hope that if you decided to apply that you have done so :). I think you sound like a good applicant. I know Tech looks very much into GPA. One of the instructors said that it is a good indicator if you will be successful in the program. Also, I know they like applicants with healthcare experience. (But there has been applicants I know with minimum experience accepted). You sound like you have a lot of great knowledge and experience. I guess my only advice would be raising your GPA, but you should def go for it! If some of your science prereq's are greater than 7 years old that would be a good place to start.

As far as accepted applicants, one of the instructors said that the usual applicant has healthcare experience, bachelor's degree, 3.6-3.8 GPA, and has biked across the world or something like that (he was making a joke), but I think this is his way of saying they are looking for a well-rounded class and applicants that stand out. They are really holistic and so it varies for every candidate! Every year they let in students without a bachelor's degree but these candidates are outstanding in other areas. Anyways, I hope this helps. The staff at TT has always been very kind and supportive. Debbie Christensen is an awesome contact at the PA program in Midland. Good luck to you!

As far as an applicant, I am applying with a Bach in nursing (will complete in May 2012), healthcare experience as a CNA and nurse tech, 3.91 overall and 3.96 science GPA, volunteer experience, and about 175 hours of PA job shadowing experience.

• 3 months later...

I would suggest that you get your app in as soon as possible. I had some retake classes in progress that I let them know of ahead of time. They updated my GPA for the interviewing committee as I sent in the new official transcripts. I finished the classes about 1 month after I turned in my CASPA app and was able to have a much much better prereq GPA when I filled out the Merlin app. I had around 600 hrs of free clinic experience and I worked as a scribe in an ER for a little while. I also shadowed/worked with a PA for 100 ish hours. He also wrote my recommendation letter. I never traveled out of the country but I have had many adventures in medical care. Before I retook classes I had about a 2.8 Science GPA and 3.2 overall. I now have about a 3.4 overall and a 3.1 Science. I think all of my extra healthcare helped me to get in ( I am also trilingual). My suggestion to all is to find what makes you different and how that can apply to healthcare. You don't have to travel to Africa and save 100's of babies from starvation (although that would be awesome), just involve yourself in the healthcare field and constantly work on improving yourself. It took me 3 years to finally get in so don't give up! Oh and don't compare yourself to everyone on the forum! Everyone will always find someone with more experience/better GPA/etc. Good luck to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorrry but I need some clarification. I have read in some places that Texas Tech calculates your GPA using all class attempts and in other places I have read that they will replace your grade with the most recent attempt. Does anyone know which is true? Does your original attempt count against your GPA? Thanks and good luck to everyone that applied this year!

I am sorrry but I need some clarification. I have read in some places that Texas Tech calculates your GPA using all class attempts and in other places I have read that they will replace your grade with the most recent attempt. Does anyone know which is true? Does your original attempt count against your GPA? Thanks and good luck to everyone that applied this year!

CASPA averages all class attempts. Also, this is from Tech's FAQ:

How does my GPA impact the selection process?

It is important because we believe it is an objective demonstration of the applicant’s ability to perform academically. For the TTUHSC PA program selection process, the qualifying GPA is calculated on the required prerequisite grades. The science GPA is considered twice—once by itself and again in the cumulative GPA. Applicants should be aware that all academic performance reported to CASPA will be reviewed and considered as a part of the evaluation process.

Archived