High School Senior interested in PA

get an EMT or medical asst. certification and find a part time job using it to start getting some experience. focus on getting good grades in biology and chemistry classes. shadow a PA and a physician around for a bit and see if you like one job better than the other. at this point you should keep all of your options open.

Also, look at the web sites of some of the schools you might eventually want to attend. Look at their requirements and pre-requisites so that, as you move into college, you will know where to focus your attention. Learn to work hard and stay focused. Stay out of trouble. MDs and PAs work under state licenses. They also have to get licensed by the DEA to prescribe meds. Many employers will do background checks. Alcohol and drug offenses, as well as many others, will tag you as someone of weak moral character and make it difficult to pursue these careers. Learn to deal with difficult people under adverse circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks both of you for your answers - I'm a good kid. I don't get into any trouble so that shouldn't be a concern. I have around 150 hours shadowing already, however they were at a physical therapist's office and a pharmacy. I currently am working for that physical therapist as an aide, but I like the idea of EMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echoing others - get an MA cert before starting college - (a little more doable if you plan on working during undergrad). Rack up a few years and focus on PA school pre-reqs, have a cushion GPA and at the end of it all, see if it's something worth pursuing by your junior year (take the GRE/apply to programs etc.)

Also, shadowing more and community service come a long way. Don't be afraid to major in a non-health degree (I wish i did, so it'd be more practical for life in general) & pursue extracurricular's that make you happy. Don't do everything revolving around medicine! Stand out and do things you genuinely enjoy.

Make it a point to get the best grade you possibly can in every single class, science or otherwise. A lot of applicants get tripped up by poor grades at one point or another in undergrad...just remember-when you apply, every single class you've ever taken will be averaged into your cGPA. Protect the GPA!

Best of luck.

Make it a point to get the best grade you possibly can in every single class, science or otherwise. A lot of applicants get tripped up by poor grades at one point or another in undergrad...just remember-when you apply, every single class you've ever taken will be averaged into your cGPA. Protect the GPA!

Best of luck.

When Doug says every single class, take that literally. If you get a D in basket weaving and then retake the course and get a C, on the CASPA application, which most PA schools use, the D is not replaced with the C. Instead, you have to report the D and the C.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Plan everything out starting day 1. Make a goals sheet that lists everything up until CASPA application...modify it as you go along. Schedule your classes in a way that you mix it up and don't burn yourself out or resort to "oh well, I can do better next semeser."  

Take classes that actually interests you...I took women's studies. Wasn't a requirement, but thought the syllabus was interesting.

• Begin accruing PAID HCE ASAP, don't wait until your Jr year to decide that and then rush. 
  • Make a 3.4+ GPA every single semester...if you hit below a 3.4, get a 3.6 the next.
  • Community service....it can be just as important as HCE, especially for those primary care/underserved PA programs.
  • It is never too early to being your personal statement (I began freshman year).
  • Enjoy your undergrad. It's a great learning experience.

Take no more than 2 at a time and pad the semester with easy gen eds. Time management. Make a study schedule and stick to it. Understand the basics before moving forward. Do not study for more than 4 hours a time (and that's pushing it). The brain needs to rest. 

Most importantly. Figure out what study strategy works bests for you. Good luck.

Archived