Supplemental Question-Did I Answer the Prompt??

So the more I read this, the more I start to doubt myself. Did I answer the prompt?

Describe an occasion from one of your hands-on patient care experiences which you felt was particularly eye-opening. What did you learn from your experience? How has it helped shape your interest in or knowledge of the profession of Physician Assistants? (Limit: 500 words or less)

One Thanksgiving night, when our hospital census was low, I was floated down to the ED where they did not have a technician. I was anxious because I had never worked in the ED as a technician. After a few hours of getting to know my surroundings, a call came through about a woman that was found unresponsive in her bathroom. The team and I set up the trauma bay in preparation. Unfortunately, there was a loss of communication and we were unaware that the woman was nine months pregnant until EMS arrived. Heart pounding, I assisted the staff in hooking the patient up to the monitors while working around the paramedics performing CPR. Once the trauma team took over, I stepped aside and waited in case they needed anything. Although the team worked seamlessly for what seemed like hours, they determined the mother was unable to be revived. The pediatric trauma team had not yet arrived and we knew there was little time to deliver the infant. A man started preparing for a C-Section, calling on me for supplies and instructing others on what to do. Not long after he began to cut, the pediatric team arrived and was able to take over and successfully deliver the baby. I later found out that this man was a physician assistant that had worked in labor and delivery for seven years prior to working in the ED.

This was an exhilarating learning experience for me. I learned that although I was nervous, I was able to work under pressure. Not only this, but I was able to quickly adapt to a new environment and efficiently work with an unfamiliar group. Most importantly, I learned that I enjoyed every second of it.

This experience also shaped my interest and understanding of the PA profession. I saw the support this profession provides in a team. This PA both followed and led the group in the trauma bay, adjusting to the role that was most needed. I also saw the versatility PAs have in medicine. He, having a previous background in the delivery room, saved that baby’s life. Later, I saw this PA go back to caring for a patient that had come in for a sprained ankle. For me, this was most important. He gave each patient his undivided attention, no matter how relatively trivial their complaint.

I was reluctant to go to the ED that night. Looking back, I am happy I went. This was definitely eye-opening; I learned a lot about myself. I also formed a deeper understanding and respect for the PA profession.

At first you don't but then in the last paragraph you do address the question but I felt it needed more of that. To show what that experience taught you about the profession and not necessarily about yourself. Also, I cringe every time I read "I later found out that this man was a physician assistant" in a personal statement or supporting document. And I feel like you needed to delve more into the "how it has shaped your interest." 

You definitely answered the prompt and it was good. I think it can be improved if you focus more on the ladder two questions. for instance, i really liked your 2nd paragraph and would like to hear more about that. You're great under pressure and you're adaptive. how did you use these assets to improve your patient care after this event? There was a lot of collaborative efforts in this experience--you can talk about the importance of collaboration. 

Anyways, it's good as it is, but if you have time, i'd elaborate more. Remember, you can recycle your supplements, so it might be worth it. 

Archived