Why does this program seem to have such a poor rep?

I have been researching this program like crazy...I think it will be a wonderful fit for me. In researching though, it seems like it gets such a bad rap. Any reason that anyone can explain? Besides that it is mostly online. PANCE pass rates are fine, and it's ranked 84 according to US News. That's not a fantastic rank, but it's definitely not bottom of the barrel. It's ranked higher than a lot of programs that get a lot of play on this forum. It's been around for 38 years. I feel like the program is misunderstood, but I'd like to know what others think.

mostly online

for most of it's existence it has only accepted nurses(basically an np program that needed to call itself a pa program for political reasons).

us news ratings are crap. don't even look at them.

u.wa went from unrated to #3 in 1 yr just by adding an ms option and changing nothing else for example.

• 7 months later...

That program's design is awesome. It's actually a program that resembles what the concept of the PA was all about at its inception...taking non-physician medical personnel with advanced training and providing intense training beyond that so that they can practice. All the other programs simply take college grads that have science courses and spent some time as a cna, etc. That has proven successful but that is not what a PA was supposed to be about. They support their concept by offering the program online so that you can continue working in your field for part of the program.

Archived