Medical Terminology Prerequisite

Hey, I've chosen Philadelphia university to get my PA masters.

They Require a med terminology course.. They offer one but it doesnt start until 2 months before I begin school and I rather have those 2 months off.

Anyone know of an Online Class I can take... now?

Thanks.

Joe

BS-Biology/Nutrition

EMT

ED-Tech

Philadelphia University Class of 2011

This is from the UF PA Program website so I assume these are reputable and acceptable at most programs:

A course in Medical Terminology is highly recommended. A test in medical terminology will be given at the beginning of the program. Students who have completed any medical terminology course will be exempt from the test. Applicants who find a scheduled class inconvenient may wish to explore a correspondence or online course. For example:

University of Northern Colorado – Medical Terminology – FND 210 – 2 semester hour credits

Website: http://www.unco.edu/extendedstudies/independent/handbook.html (Click on Courses > Food & Nutrition)

Or visit Webby’s Cyber Classes at http://webbycyberclasses.learnhub.net/do/portal

Additional information on correspondence/online medical terminology courses available nationwide may be found at http://www.petersons.com.

Guest foreverLaur

Columbus State Community College has an online medical terminology class. The course is 10 weeks long and has no campus requirements. Everything, including exams, are online.

Tuition is $79/credit hour for in-state and $175/credit hour for out of state. The course is 2 credit hours, so it would cost $350 + the textbook.

The course is MULT 101 and you can read about it here:

http://global.cscc.edu/CoursesDegrees/courses.asp?D=All&C=MULT101&Y=09&Q=SP

You can start the course on March 30 and it ends in early June. The school is really great and has a great reputation in the area. I took the course and all the schools I contacted are accepting it.

HOWEVER... the entire course is online starting the first day. If you really dedicated yourself, it is possible to complete the entire course in only a few days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jester2241

Hey jmm, I am currently in med term at Philadelphia University (Class of 2011), and the course is now an online hybrid sort of course (it meets a total of 5 times +mid terms and final), I don't know if that suits what you wanted to do, but that's the way the course currently works.

You can always ask the program director, he's the guy that teaches it.

Hope that helps.

I took the online course through University of Northern Colorado that Prospective PA mentioned and it was great. Granted, I took like 8 months to spread it out and take it over, but it could have been done in a couple days also with ALOT of dedication. They were a great university and always willing to help which made it easier too. I would definitely suggest them if you haven't already signed up for another. All the schools I applied to accepted it as a pre-req without hesitation. Good luck!

Most of the schools around me offer the medical terminology but not for credit. The local college affiliate with a hospital offers it for credit ... for about $600!!!!!!!!!!! Someone there is taking drugs!

I called around and found a tech school that offered it for credit as part of their medical office assistant and LPN programs ... 3 credits, $140. I'm a working EMT and know most of it already but if you want to dance you've got to pay the band. Still, easiest 3 credit A I've ever earned.

• 3 weeks later...
Columbus State Community College has an online medical terminology class. The course is 10 weeks long and has no campus requirements. Everything, including exams, are online.

Tuition is $79/credit hour for in-state and $175/credit hour for out of state. The course is 2 credit hours, so it would cost $350 + the textbook.

You can start the course on March 30 and it ends in early June. The school is really great and has a great reputation in the area. I took the course and all the schools I contacted are accepting it.

HOWEVER... the entire course is online starting the first day. If you really dedicated yourself, it is possible to complete the entire course in only a few days.

guess im to late, try to register, it says -2 seats availabe, sup with that? guess ill keep looking, bump for other, i notice others were looking around for this class

I'm going to Pace and they required that we take an online medical terminology class through Universal Classroom after we were accepted, but before starting classes. This doesn't offer any credits. I thought the class was absurdly easy and I'm not really sure why we had to do it. I finished the course in about 6 sittings. Maybe about 12-18 hours of time spent doing the class.

They have a "certified" option, which Pace also required. I don't know how it's different than the non-certified but you get a document of completion once you're done with the grade you got and such on it.

was tying to get in, im still waiting to see if i was registered, the class has 0 spots left, but some say -2 or -1 im not sure if they can squeeze me in or not, im really trying to get into this one

Going to Philly U as well and need the course. I am taking it at Bellevue Community College office of continuing education. Its ~350 and all online, they will ship the books to you and you can complete it on your own time.

If anyone has a better way, I would appreciate it.

After being on hold for 2 days, finally have to call them and ask again, then they tell me i need to take a placement test, they should of told me this the first day, the class is basically full... and they have to send you a placement test, this will take forever, about time this is done, the class will be full.... anyone know of any college were i can just sign up and pay and take the class

im not sure if this has been done but its best to look at local schools and state schools for thsi course.....it shouldnt cost 600 dollars for this class if you take it at a local school. many states have a consortium for online courses meaning a site to go to that allows you to search for online classes among all state schools.....example www.distancelearn.org is the one for FL...makes things easier

its a very easy course so if you apply yourself you should be able to finish the course in a few weeks. i took it at the CC and $ year levels, both schools offered everything online and the course was open so you could complete it as fast or slow (as long as you met deadlines) as you wanted

if you definitely have to go out of state....many of these schools offer med term online http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16105&highlight=online+list

• 1 year later...

Can anyone update with a good medical terminology course that is given online? Preferably self-paced? I need a course that will give me college credit. IF the tests can be taken online that's great too. Right now my proctor charges $75 for each test/quiz and it adds up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived