Hi guys and gals, I have a question!

I graduated 2013 with a BS in Business. My CGPA is 3.1. Initially, I was a chemistry major so I have about two years worth of sciences done but my grades were not that great. My existing SGPA is 2.7. I plan on retaking all the courses over that I received lower than a B. So my problem is:

For the fall semester, I got into the following programs:

Pre med post bacc at Hofstra University

Non-matriculated program at NYU (applied for post-bacc in the spring)

Non-matriculated program at Hunter (applied for post-bacc in the spring)

Which program will be the best choice? The general public will obviously choose NYU based on its prestige but I will have no perks of the pre-health advisory and I’ve been warned about their “weeding out” courses. Hosftra, although not the best school, I have all the perks that come with a structured post bacc program but I don’t know if it will give me the competitive edge that I will need to separate myself. I’ve heard great things about Hunter but again, I will have no guidance and I am concerned with not impressing the adcoms. Lastly, I don’t want to wait around an entire semester to see if I got into any of the programs in the spring. I just want some feedback. I just don’t know what to do...

Hi there,

Attend any you see of best fit. Adcoms (as I have observed) do not care [as much] which school you graduated/took postbac courses from except for those who explicitly state "community college courses are not competitive". They care for the grades you received, the quality of your HCE, any volunteerism/humanitarian experiences, and personal/professional goals. I personally would go with the one that offers the most perks; those that deal with student affairs where both matriculated and non-matriculated students are considered equal.

A 4.0 from a state school in philosophy > a 2.9 from Harvard in biology [since you're auto-screened out by GPA].

• Upvote 1

Thank you for replying to my post so promptly! I greatly appreciate it.

Do you think it's worth doing a structured post bacc program or will a DIY post bacc suffice? (Assuming I do well in both)

Things such as a committee letters do not matter to PA programs correct?

If you were me, which program would you pursue and why?

What is important is doing well in the courses, so go to the program that you feel will allow you to be the most successful. In other words, schedules, accessibility to professors, student support, etc. Set yourself up for success.

Keep in mind, many people go to PA school while working, so they are not enrolled in a specific Post-Bacc program, they just take classes whenever and whereever they can fit them in. I took classes at a community college, and two state universities to get to where I am. What is important is that you set yourself up for success and high grades. In my opinion, the brand name isn't as important to most programs as long as it is a quality, rigorous education. 

As for committee letters, I suppose you could submit them as a LOR in CASPA. However, personal letters from people you have worked with directly and can speak to who you are and what you have accomplished might be more useful. I'm not familiar with how a committee letter is structured, so I cannot comment on that. I would focus on finding PAs, MDs, NPs, professors, who can speak to your quality and ability to being successful in a very intense academic program and ultimately as a PA.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

@JGNYC I took the remainder of my post-bacc classes at Hunter as a non-degree student. It's pretty straightforward and not difficult to get As. The only problem I have with Hunter is that if you were a non-degree seeking student and not in the post-bacc program (like myself), it could be difficult getting into classes. I ended up getting into all the classes that I needed to, but it was very stressful because I had to keep checking the system and waiting until someone dropped out of the class because of my late registration times. If you have any additional questions, I can try and help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Rylie
      First, I would like to start off by introducing myself. 
      My name is Rylie Yager and I am a junior in my undergrad at Grand Valley State University. I am majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience, minoring in Psychology and Biology with a pre - PA emphasis. 
      Due to the competitiveness when it comes to admissions in to PA programs, I have been attempting to prepare to become the best possible applicant for when I apply to PA programs next summer (2022). It is stressful and beyond overwhelming - especially being that I am the first member of my family to be attending college, let alone grad school. I've had to figure out everything related to college on my own; from scheduling courses to managing everything that comes along with being a college student whom has to finically support themselves simultaneously. Thus far, I feel like I have been keeping up with the punches that this new journey has thrown my way. Now, I am on a new journey to become a PA - which is terrifying but also exciting. Being that I have been working along my education journey on my own, all I know is from research that I have done myself and contacting facility at my university. But I would like to receive more input and advise that could help me - and I am sure many others - on this journey of becoming a PA. Being how competitive it is to be admitted into a PA program, I am doing all that I can think of to become a worthy applicant - and would love advise from others who are on this journey and those who have surpassed it and are willing to give advise on how to get there. 
      I have listed some of the things that I have done/currently doing to help prepare me for my future in a PA program, and as a PA:
      Work Experience:
      Server in a nursing home
      Receptionist in a nursing home
      Medical technician in a nursing home
      Behavioral neuro technician in an inpatient facility
      Mental health technician in a psychiatrics hospital (current)

Education:
      Overall GPA: 3.678
      Coursework:
      Fall 2021
      BIO 328 SWS Biomedical Ethics
      BIO 376 Genetics Laboratory
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Discussion
      CHM 232 Biological Chemistry Lab
      PSY 300S WS Research Methods in Psych
      367 Health Psychology
      Winter 2022
      AHS 100 Medical Terminology
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology (RETAKE)
      213 Laboratory in Microbiology (RETAKE)
      PHY 200 Physics for the Life Sciences
      PSY 400 Advanced Research in Psychology

Previous/Completed
      BIO 121 General Biology II with lab
      BIO 355 Human Genetics
      CHM 231 Introductory Organic Chemistry with lab
      PSY 303 Psychopathology 
      PSY 311 SWS Controversial Issues Psych
      PSY 330 Foundations of Behav Neuroscience
      BMS 212 Introductory Microbiology
      BMS 213 Laboratory in Microbiology
      BMS 251 Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
      PSY 324Developmental Psychopathology
      WRT 219 Creative Writing Workshop 
      CHM 230 Intro to Organic and Biochem with lab
      FIT 125 Performance Weight Training
      HST 102 European Civilizations
      PSY 364 Life Span Developmental Psych
      WRT 150Strategies in Writing
      BMS 250Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
      CHM 109 Introductory Chemistry with lab
      PHI 202 Ethics of Health
      SOC 105 Social Problems
      PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
      BIO 121 General Biology II

Academic achievements: 
      Deans list
      Writing portfolio utilized by writing department for grading scale

Volunteering:
      Crisis Hotline
      Community Food Bank Grand Rapids 

• By vjaniceb
      Hi there, my name is Vanessa and I just graduated with my bachelor's in February. I am looking to pursue into a PA program but not quite sure where to start. I am currently studying for the GRE and have about 250 internship hours done at an ENT clinic with an audiologist. I'm not sure in what I am doing and need any guidance or suggestion in what to do. 
    • By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA Forum,
      I am new to the pre-PA path, and I am a bit overwhelmed by the things that need to get done over the next years. I am finishing up my freshman year and have decided that getting into PA school is my goal. After some research I have come to the understanding that I need to have prerequisite courses completed. However, I am very lost on where to start. Some schools require upper level this and lower level that. I dont want to waste any more time then I already have, given that I have been a CS major for my entire first year, so Im very worried about making the wrong choices for next semester. Here is a run down of the classes I've taken as a freshman CS student (I will switch out to another major). Keep in mind I have not taken introductory English courses because of AP college credit. 

1st Sem:
      Bio 101, CPSC 120, POSC 100, Pre-Calculus
      2nd Sem: 
      Geology 101, CPSC 121, Calculus I, HCOM 100

What should I take this summer or in the fall? I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Registration is in a few weeks and I do not have too much time to make a decision on my fall classes. I was thinking of taking a more challenging course over the summer so I could focus on it by itself, and maybe take psychology next semester, but I feel like im missing something like chemistry or anatomy.
    • By Kalebmi20
      Hello PA forum.
      After doing some soul searching, I decided on maybe going for PA school. I am only a 2nd semester freshman. However, due to many circumstances, such as adjusting to online school, and a 1 star professor, my first semester of college was a 2.5. I also was not planning on anything after undergrad so I wasn't totally motivated on acing everything. I am doing my best this semester to make up for that, and getting a 3.75 or 4 this semester is realistic at the moment since Ive bee working extra hard. I am very worried however that all of the hard work that will come in the next years will be for naught if my 2.5 first semester will weigh me down. I know I am capable of getting mostly As and Bs from here on out, but will my first semester be the bane of my PA school application? Will schools take into account covid college and and very bad professors who hardly knew how to operate education software? Will schools see the upward trend as a good thing? I also understand that my application will be looked at as a package rather than just GPA, so I have some hope, but this worry still lingers.
    • By KH21444
      Hello!
      I'm currently in my undergrad program taking my prerequisites for PA school. I plan on graduating in the Spring of 2023 and applying for PA school that same year.
      As I begin my PA school research, I keep having self-doubts on my ability to learn the content in PA school, which questions my ability to "make it" as a PA.
      While I am doing well in my undergrad/prerequisite courses, I fear I am not genuinely learning the information - just merely memorizing and doing well on exams. My question is: Will I/How badly will I struggle in PA school if I don't remember/didn't efficiently learn the coursework from prerequisites like Biology/A&P/Chemistry?
      I do not fear applying for PA school/getting accepted (aware that it may not happen the first time I apply), but my current GPA is 3.8 and I've been working full-time as a medical assistant for 3 years (plenty of PCE, HCE & shadowing). However, I fear getting into PA school and having the feeling of "what did I get myself into". I've had PAs that I work for all tell me that I can do it, but I keep having this lingering self-doubt that my ADHD brain and I will not be able to grasps concepts like others will due to my lack of deep understanding during prerequisites (and just having recently been diagnosed with ADHD & still learning what medication works best for me).
      Is this feeling normal?
      Thank you to whoever can give me some honest insight!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More