Prospective employer wants to contact current one...

I don't know what to do!

I am in credentialing process for a new job. As their policy, they would like to have my current supervisor fill out a "skills survey" about me and fax back to them. I have ZERO problem with this idea. However, where I currently work at, management and docs are known to be a little bit hostile/nasty to employees looking for other jobs.

I don't want to tell my perspective employer that they cannot contact my supervisor, in fear they might take it as I have something to hide.

I don't want to let my current employer know I am leaving because they'll be nasty to me.

My plan was to submit my letter of resignation once I have a start date with the new place, but it seems like it's not gonna work out. I may have to leave earlier than planned.

What are my options?

Guest Paula

Do you have any other options for someone else to fill out the skills survey?  Do you have a contract in hand that is signed?  Will your SP give you a bad review?  

Your current employer probably already has an idea you want to leave.  Somehow they seem to figure these things out even when you try to keep it secret. 

You could approach it similar to what GMOTM said in above post.  Why do you want to leave your current employer?

You might  just have to suck it up and talk to your employer and as you are doing that grow another layer of skin on your back. 

After 11 years of PA experience I have grown 11 new layers of skin and not a single layer of it has sloughed off.  

You might  just have to suck it up and talk to your employer and as you are doing that grow another layer of skin on your back. 

After 11 years of PA experience I have grown 11 new layers of skin and not a single layer of it has sloughed off.  

So true Paula.  After resigning from an abusive doc, I now have standards for which I won't budge.   As for the OP, there really is no sure bet way to end things nicely.  I have tried that route and can tell you that the SP can turn on you at the last second.  Even if they say they want to end things nicely, I wouldn't trust that.  It is sad because I excelled at my last job, and the doc really thought I was something swell and would have given me a good LOR.  But,  when I resigned, she kept my sick/vacation pay from me.  For me, I would tell your new job "Hey, you're more than welcome to call my last job but here's the deal..."  That way, you're honest and upfront and also giving them a heads up in case something happens.

Archived