Info from a UDM PA

Hello ,

Thanks so much for offering to help and answer questions for all of us. I'm planning to apply in 2010 .I have ten years of HCE and my pre-requisites ,so far have been going good with A grade. However, my GRE score is low (940) and I was wondering if I should retake it and if there are any students who did get accepted even with a low GRE but otherwise good stats. I would appreciate your help.

thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey no problem, gemini. To be honest with you, none of us have talked about our GRE scores so I don't have a good idea on how accepted applicants usually do. The good news though, is that statistically if you take it again, you should do better since you know what to expect and where you may need to review. And you have plenty of time to retake it if you wish. When I took it, I studied from a Kaplan review book.

Hope that helps!

hello,

Thanks so much for the reply. I guess I will try and retake it later this year . The whole test is so gruesome that I was trying to get away with not taking it again:). Anyway, I appreciate your help and I might have more questions in the future as I approach the application deadline, hope that's ok. Also, I was thinking of coming to UDM someday and meet some students to know more about the program and admission process. I was wondering if there's any day or time of the year that would be good for that?

Thanks again :)

Hopefully you've already applied for this next class, as the application deadline is today! Reference your question on finding out more about the program, you could attend an information meeting (dates found here: http://healthprofessions.udmercy.edu/programs/paprogram/news/index.php), but I'm not sure if they give "individual" tours. Probably wouldn't hurt to call up the number on the website and ask though! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

When I looked online for the status of my application, it lists February 15th (the deadline) for my application. So I guess mine was complete and received then, I got a call for an interview about two weeks after that. I went to the info session yesterday, and they said that calls will be going out for interviews through the end of the month. There's still lots of time!

No, they didn't mention anything about the interview. They mainly focused on the application process, which, thank goodness we're done with that part! Sherina, when is your interview?

Do they wait until they interview everyone before they go back through applications and select candidates for admission? Or do they accept on a rolling basis as interviews take place?

I'm a current 2-yr PA student at the UDM. Last year, the staff did all the interviews and then letters of acceptance were sent out at the same time. I interviewed in mid-March and received my acceptance letter on April 15. It was the day the staff said the letters would be sent. Not sure if the rules have changed for this year. Good luck everyone!

Hi jmburns,

Thank you for the info. I'm in the process of preparing for my upcoming interview. Can you provide any good tips on how to prepare? What kinds of questions were asked? How long did the interview take and who was present on the admissions committee? Also, how are you enjoying the program? Im hoping to get into the 2 year program? How rigorous is the courseload? How often do examinations come up? I have so manhy questions but I won't bombard you, lol. I look forward to your response, Thanks!

Guest rwilliams

My application status is marked: complete and ready for review. I have not received a call or an email. Has anyone received a email stating that thet were not selected for an interview? If not does anyone know when they will send out these notifications?

In the interview, just be yourself! Be confident about who you are and why you want to become a PA. I think you'll find the experience to be very comfortable if you don't allow yourself to be stressed out. The interview is usually about an hour. You most likely will be greeted by current PA students so you can ask questions. This is informal and not part of the interview. Then, you will meet with a small group in a conference room. In my interview, there were 3 instructors and a college representative. The courseload for a 2-yr student is rigorous but doable. I can't give you an idea of when exams come up. It depends on the course. Besides written exams, there are online readings and assigments, practical exams, site visits, etc. You will learn quickly that you will need to organize and manage your time well to succeed in the program. This is a second career for me. I was a teacher and administrator for 30+ years before applying to the PA program. I'm studying and learning a lot!!! Good luck with your interview.

Archived