Info from a UDM PA

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be great! Thank you so much for making yourself available! I have a couple of questions:

(1) What was the interview process like at UofD?

(2) How many hours of the day do you spend doing PA-related activities? I know it is an extremely intense program, but do you have like an hour a day to do anything else? I have a 3 year old and am afraid I won't even have time to tuck him into bed!!

Thank so much!

After you apply to the program, if they are interested in you they will call you on the phone to set up an interview. Applications are due by Feb 15 and I got my call for an interview in early March and had my interview later that month. I was so nervous at the interview I'm sure I was stuttering and breaking out into hives. But they expect that, they know you're nervous- if you go in there not at all nervous acting like you have already been accepted it doesn't look good. They will ask the standard questions about why you chose PA and why UDM. You will also be asked an ethical question and a clinical type question. My interview last only about 15 minutes max. I was then told that I would be notified by April 15 whether I got in. I received a phone call April 14 explaining I got in and later recieved documentation in the mail that I made it.

As far as free time goes, it is obviously less than before I was in the program but I do still have one!! I am in the 3 year program and have enough time to study, work 24 hours a week, and have a life. I do not have any children but many of the students in the 3 year track do and still have time for them, and can still tuck them in at night. The student in the 2 year program have no life outside of school and are far more stressed than we are!

One of my co-workers interviewed last year and she said they did ask her a couple questions that she she no idea how to answer. They asked her a question about an accident and people that may have been involved. The ethical question seems kind of easy but what about the clinical ones? Do they tailor the questions to your clinical experience? What if don't know the answer, does that look bad on your part? I guess I'm asking, what if you do not have the sort of clinical knowledge for the question they are asking?

Thanks

Quinn

• 2 months later...
Guest kelclk

They aren't going to ask you a case study question. If they ask you about your clinical experience it's just that: your experience. It's not a test! And i'm going to disagree with the statement: "But they expect that, they know you're nervous- if you go in there not at all nervous acting like you have already been accepted it doesn't look good." Confidence is not a bad thing, cockiness is! They don't want you to be timid in your interview.

Guest karebear2717

I'm interested in the three year program

Can you tell me what kind of grades you got in your pre-req classes? Your GPA? Type of experience before the program?

I'm wondering if I'm going to be a competitive applicant.

I'm interested in the three year program

Can you tell me what kind of grades you got in your pre-req classes? Your GPA? Type of experience before the program?

I'm wondering if I'm going to be a competitive applicant.

The 3 year track is great, so much less stress! As for my prereq grades:

Anatomy and Physiology I: A-

Anatomy and Physiology II: A-

Adv. Physiology: A-

Microbiology: B+

Nutrition: A

Stats: A

Ethics: A

Dev Psych: A

Prior experience: I have been a medical assistant since age 16 in family practice, pediatrics and urgent care.

Many of the current students have limited patient care experience- don't let that hinder you from applying, have at least the minimum contact hours.

Guest nam11

Hey Sara,

I just interviewed today and you can relax. The three people I interviewed with were great, very friendly, and did not try to "break" me on any questions. You get to meet with some students as you wait and then it is more like going to "chat" with the members of your interview team. I found the whole experience to be pretty pleasant. The clinical questions were not as they seem. I was asked about my experience only on how tit related to the health field and how it made me a better candidate. They did not ask me specific questions about medicine or anything like that and no essay. In all it was good.

Nick

Guest smart.cookie

Hi. I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

If one didn't have medical experience (as I would not if I did the 5 year program) would the program be too difficult to complete? Is the work load insane, or is it manageable? And finally, are UDM grads highly recruited? I would love to graduate with a job offer or two in hand...

Guest mattmedwards

Hi - If you are still checking this I have a question.

I am Catholic, and I went to U of D Jesuit just down the street. I am a member of Gesu. I would really like a Catholic medical education. Would you recommend bringing this up in some capacity? Or is this completely irrelevant?

Matt, my suggestion to you is this, if you apply to the program and asked why you chose UDM specifically, you may want to mention it. Otherwise, it does not matter greatly as many UDM students come from all different backgrounds and religious affiliations.

Hope that helps!

Guest mattmedwards

Hey thanks for the advice! When did they ask you about your choice for UDM? Was it part their questionarre or did it come up in the interview? I will be applying to a few Catholic schools, but UDM is my 1st choice since I grew up here.

Guest KarynLR

As someone who has interviewed with UDM before, I was quite pleased to see that my interview seemed much more tailored to me than in years past. From the beginning it was, "Oh, we've met you before", and "what have you done in the past year that makes your more qualified?" etc. It wasn't really the same old same old, and since I think I answered a lot of questions in my essays, we focused on different things--MUCH more in my favor, I feel.

I got a phone call today (3:15) and was told that I was accepted into the PA program. I applied for the two-year spot. The caller did not know whether it was the 2- or 3-year spot. I'm SOOOOO excited!!! Anyone else? Now, I need to look for a safe, cheap place to live that accepts a small therapy dog (cocker spaniel).

Guest Jbraman

Congratulations!! I also received a call at about 1430, and am accepted as well. I applied for the 3 year spot, but the caller didn't specify which one I was accepted into.

Archived