How to Negotiate?

Had a few interviews with a potential place for employment. Just received a call saying that they went through all of my references and are putting together a job offer for me for either today or tomorrow. How do I go about negotiating? Do I try and do this over the phone, by email, or in person?

Also when they present me with an offer do I give them a counter offer right away or do I read through it and get some comparable numbers then get back to them?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

No. No sources. They don't tell you the sources of their offer why would you. AAPA is extra informations it you, not authority. Otherwise you are getting into discussion of how valid study and sample size. Just ask politely saying that I believe the level of salary or PTO for this position with responsibilities such as such would be ......

Figure out what you want/need

make sure it is reasonable

after the initial offer state the counter offer, in a nice professional TELEPHONE call - NOT EMAIL!!!

Act professional at all times.  I have never had much luck quoting AAPA data (even though it is great data)  they always just say it is "different in the local area" (justifying paying a lower wage.

polite follow up thought out

In addition to what Ventana said, be sure you tell them that a) you really appreciate their offer and b) you would love to work there if you can come to terms. As a candidate, realize that if they are making you an offer, they regard you as their best ( or only) applicant. That gives you some negotiating power. If your terms are reasonable, they will try to meet them to bring you on board. On the other hand, if their offer is terrible, it may be impossible to structure a deal. As Ventana said, you need to know what you want. Good luck.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Archived