ED call?

Hey Folks, 

The group I'm working with is throwing the idea of call around.  I think this is mostly call for when a coworker is sick (less so acuity/volume/mass casualty).  Anyone out there doing this? What is the usual pay rate for "holding the pager" and call ins?  I'm not 100% sure I'm on board with this but would like to know the going rate before I walk into this meeting.  Thanks!

we did this for a while . it was a disaster because it was abused. it started out that it was for sick calls. ok, no problem. then it became" if it's busy we will call you in". that's every day.

we had the pager for 12 hrs 1 day/week on a day off and 1 weekend/month for 5/hr + 1.5x if called in, min 4 hrs pay/call. after about 6 months of abuse and working multiple extra shifts/mo we all refused and they hired extra folks.

we did this for a while . it was a disaster because it was abused. it started out that it was for sick calls. ok, no problem. then it became" if it's busy we will call you in". that's every day.

we had the pager for 12 hrs 1 day/week on a day off and 1 weekend/month for 5/hr + 1.5x if called in, min 4 hrs pay/call. after about 6 months of abuse and working multiple extra shifts/mo we all refused and they hired extra folks.

Yeah, I can see the abuse thing being an issue already.  I work with an awesome group of folks, but there's always one…  

Extra pay is nice but this group is already stretched beyond thin and about to be stretched even further.  I don't see it working out well.  Particularly if it becomes a volume/acuity call back on an almost daily basis.  The docs do this and I can only recall one time where I saw anyone was called in for volume, but who knows what would happen for our group.  

Thanks for the input. 

My old job always had someone on-call for illness, and due to voodoo math if we got called in there was no extra money because we were already being paid more than the shifts we were working, so our salary already factored in getting called in for a shift or two?  I could never figure that out.

My new job doesn't have a call schedule- if someone's out, they call around until someone can come in, and they're paid at the normal rate.

Slippery slope with call.

Got into EM so wouldnt have to do call.

First EM job, I lived 200 yds from hospital. Would get calls all the time to come in early for shift, etc.

Stopped answering the phone.

I would not opt into this.

If there is a staffing issue, instead of addressing it, calling others in on off days will just hide the deficit.

Our group does have short term call in pay aka covering a callout. Plus since we prorate hours every month, it turns out to be OT.

So OT rate + short term call in equals over $100/hr. That is an incentive that will get folks to answer the phone.

Otherwise you are getting shorted on your time off and in the end, just get angry.

GB PA-C

Archived