First EM Job Experience Requirements

I'm set to graduate in a few months and have been recently searching for EM jobs with great frustration. All of them say they want a year of experience in EM before they will even look at my application. I have had a few callbacks and emails but they all end the same way... I was a paramedic for four years prior to starting school and all of my electives have an EM focus.

So how do I get EM experience if nobody wants to hire me as a new grad? I'm not limited to location but set on the specialty; I really do not want to do anything besides EM.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? I can't be the only one this has happened to. Any advice appreciated.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• Administrator

You have about three options, I'd estimate:

1) Look in undesirable locations for desirable jobs.

2) Do a residency.  Or at the very least an EM boot camp/conference.

3) Do Urgent Care until you can get your foot in the door for emergency department work.

Interestingly enough, trying to go from Family Medicine to Emergency Medicine has not been trivial for me, either.

I just graduated last week. I have been offered a job in the ER. I know 5 others from my class who also have ER jobs already.

Apply to more jobs, network as much as you can, knock on more doors, make more phone calls, etc.

The journey of applying and suffering repeated rejection is frustrating, but remember that things can change for the better in an instant

So how do I get EM experience if nobody wants to hire me as a new grad? I'm not limited to location but set on the specialty; I really do not want to do anything besides EM.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? I can't be the only one this has happened to. Any advice appreciated.

Let me offer some suggestions .... Examine transferable strengths. Lacking history in a given field doesn't automatically translate into being an undesirable applicant. Oftentimes, things learned in one workplace are valuable in another.

Look outside your workplace PM2PA. Employment is NOT the only thing that shapes a candidate. Do an analysis of activities you have taken part in outside of work and list the skills you have used. Thus a functional résumé.

Your task is to show a prospective employer what you can offer, NOT what you lack. Thus, ditching a regular résumé dedicated to career history in favor of a functional résumé that focuses on abilities may be helpful.

PM2PA you should outline how your skills will be beneficial to an employer as well as detail the ways in which he can apply these skills in the position she/he is seeking.

Networking is one of the most important -- if not the most important -- activities that job-seekers need to master to be truly successful in your job search. Because the vast majority of job openings are NEVER advertised, job-seekers need to have a network of contacts -- a career network -- that can provide support, information, and job leads. 

Archived